Application Process Policies & Procedures
In advance of submitting an Off-Campus Study program application, students should
- Discuss their plans to study off-campus and their academic plan with their academic advisor and/or the Department Chair of their major department.
- Research program options and inform themselves about the application process by attending information sessions, meeting with a CIIS Peer Advisor, and meeting with a member of the CIIS staff.
- Ensure they meet all eligibility requirements including course pre-requisites and minimum GPA requirement where applicable.
- Inquire about visa processes and understand that they must submit travel documents (passports) to visa authorities for several weeks for processing. St. Lawrence University is not responsible for missed vacations or missed classes at host programs due to delays in visa processes.
- Applications are available on the CIIS Website linked in each program page.
- Applications should demonstrate an academic rationale for participation in a particular program, as well as maturity, responsibility, and cultural sensitivity. Complete applications include a faculty recommendation and a recommendation from a member of the St. Lawrence community who knows the student from a context other than that of the classroom. For example, this may be a coach, a work supervisor, an FYP advisor, etc.
- Students currently on disciplinary, social, or academic probation are not eligible to apply for, or participate in, this program or any other SLU program. In addition, students with outstanding disciplinary fines, service hours and/or education program requirements are not eligible to participate in the program.
- Students must be financially cleared through Student Financial Services before they can study in an off-campus program.
- Students must be enrolled full-time on campus in the semester in which they apply for off-campus study. Students on leave or already studying off-campus are not eligible to apply for off-campus study in the following semester.
- Students may apply to two programs in any semester. Students are asked to rank order their program preference immediately following the application deadline. Although students are permitted to apply to two programs, they will be offered a place (if accepted) to only one program.
- Acceptance to partner programs is preliminary and requires final approval of our partner institutions. Partner institutions have the right to refuse admittance without recourse to appeal.
- Students seeking to participate on a second off-campus program must have an especially strong academic rationale for doing so. Among equally-qualified applicants, preference is normally given to those who have not had prior off-campus study experience over those who have studied off-campus previously, and to those who are more advanced in their studies and will not have future opportunities for off-campus study. If approved, students may study once at a partner program destination and once on a St. Lawrence University owned program. Students may not participate on off-campus programs in sequential semesters. For a variety of reasons, they must return to campus for at least one semester between off-campus study programs.