Top 10 News Stories of the Fall 2015 Semester
A write up in an exclusive new college guide, news on clean energy projects and energy reduction, keeping track of student achievements, and having some of the best college food in the nation helped to round out St. Lawrence University’s top-10 most read news stories of the Fall 2015 semester.
St. Lawrence continues to receive strong rankings from national publications, including U.S. News and World Report, USA Today’s College Factual and others. This year, St. Lawrence University was one of only 50 colleges in the nation that was profiled in The Princeton Review’s new book Colleges That Create Futures: 50 Schools That Launch Careers By Going Beyond the Classroom. The profile of St. Lawrence includes quotes from students, faculty and alumni and highlights several academic programs, such as Business in the Liberal Arts, Global Studies, and the Rhetoric and Communications Studies program, a skill that employers consistently rate as one of the most important for college graduates to possess when entering the workforce.
The University announced two clean energy projects, which, with the combination of an energy credit purchasing program, means that St. Lawrence will get about 95 percent of its electricity from clean and renewable energy supplies. Students also proved that they are willing to turn off the extra light in order to go watt-to-watt with its New York Six rivals in the Negawatt Challenge, taking home for the second time the top prize for the greatest reduction in residential electrical usage.
Meanwhile, the Quad got a new name, and a group of economics students took part in the College Fed Challenge and, with some preparation with key alumni, made it for the first time to the semifinal round.
News articles are published regularly by University Communications and featured on the University News website. Campus news and information is also promoted through the University’s social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
Here are the Top 10 News Stories of the Fall 2015 Semester:
- St. Lawrence a College That Creates Futures: Princeton Review
- 'The Daily Meal' Says SLU Food Among Best in Nation
- SLU Earns Strong Rankings in ‘U.S. News’ & ‘USA Today’
- St. Lawrence Named A ‘Hidden Gem’ College
- New International Students Welcomed to St. Lawrence
- Quad Named for Brush; Gift to Renovate Walkways
- St. Lawrence Students Advance at Fed Challenge
- Convocation: Faculty, Staff Receive Awards, Promoted
- St. Lawrence Students Win Negawatt Challenge
- St. Lawrence University Expands Its Use of Clean Energy