Travel and Transportation | St. Lawrence University New Laurentian Guide

Travel and Transportation

Directions to your On-Campus Residence Hall
To help make Move-In Day as smooth as possible for you, please see the specific street address for your dorm below. For your convenience, here is a link to the campus map:

  • Students assigned to live in Priest and Reiff residence halls should enter 3 Maple Street, Canton, NY into their GPS and travel directly to that location.
  • Students assigned to live in LeeRebertWhitman, and Gaines should enter campus at the Romoda Drive entrance on East Main St. This can be found by entering 86 East Main Street, Canton, NY into the GPS. 

Residence Life staff will be available to help direct you to your dorm room - don't be afraid to ask for help!

Getting Here by Air and Train
Served by the commuter airline CapeAir:

  • Ogdensburg, NY, 30 minutes away.
  • Massena, NY, 45 minutes away.
  • Saranac Lake, NY, 90 minutes away.
  • Watertown, NY, 90 minutes hours away.


  • Brockville, Ontario, 65 minutes away, is served by VIA Rail.
  • Ottawa, Ontario, 75 minutes away, is served by VIA Rail and major airlines; rental cars are available at the airport.
  • Montréal, Québec, international airport is about 2 ½ hours away; also served by VIA Rail.
  • Syracuse, New York, 2 ½ hours away, is served by major airlines and AMTRAK. Adirondack Trailways bus service (315-379-0923) is available from the Syracuse airport (see below), where rental cars are available.

Getting Here by Bus
The Canton bus stop is a short distance from campus. There are two Adirondack Trailways (315-379-0923) bus runs daily between Canton and Syracuse; bus and train connections can be made there, and the buses also make stops at the Syracuse airport terminal. Adirondack Trailways also offers one round trip a day between Canton and New York City via Albany.

Leave the Driving to Us During Breaks
To learn more about the Break Bus service and to reserve a spot, please check this website:

Shuttle Service
To learn more about the university shuttle service to an airport, train, or bus terminal, please check this website:

Visiting Canada
We are fortunate to be located so close to another country, but remember that you need a valid passport to cross the border between Canada and the United States. We strongly encourage you to bring your passport with you. If you do not already have a passport, we recommend you obtain one prior to your arrival.

Foreign drivers entering Canada are encouraged to have a Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card in their possession while driving in Canada, to verify they have insurance. This card is available from the insurance agency that issues your automobile insurance coverage and should list the effective date of coverage, expiration date, policy number and insurance agency.