The Wind Ensemble is open to SLU students, faculty, and staff, as well as adult and student musicians from our local community. A performance audition for both new and returning members is required for placement within the ensemble. See below for audition requirements.
The past few years have seen the Wind Ensemble continue to grow in both student population and musicianship. Music repertoire is varied and is chosen according to the abilities and interests of the members. This spring's theme is the Winds of Time. Music we'll be reading and possibly performing:
- Rhythm of the Winds by Frank Erickson
- Spring Festival by Chen Yi
- Symphonic Dance #3, Fiesta by Clifton Williams
- Escape from Chronopolis by Reber Clark
- Smokey Joe's Cafe
- Disney at the Movies
- Children's March by Grainger
- Hymn to a Blue Hour by John Mackey
- Time's Uncertain Wing by David Gillingham
- Hymn for the Lost and Living by Eric Ewazen
- Pilatus: Mountain of Dragons by Steven Reineke
Rehearsals (starting January 29)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6pm, in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Tuesday, April 16, at 8pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Tuesday, January 22, 4:30-6pm, in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall, or by appointment
New student members will be asked to play a short, private audition for the director. This will be scheduled at a time that works for both the student and the director. Auditions are relaxed and will consist of (1) any piece you'd like to play, and (2) a short sight-reading example, which will be provided at the audition.
For more information, contact Theresa Witmer, director.