Certification to Teach a Foreign Language | St. Lawrence University Modern Languages

Certification to Teach a Foreign Language

Students seeking initial certification as a 7-12 French or Spanish teacher in New York must major in the language and also complete the certification minor in education. Francophone studies and Spanish majors intending to complete student teaching after graduation in the University’s Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification Program must complete the Francophone studies or Estudios Hispánicos major and the pre-certification minor in education (or its equivalent) as undergraduates. To qualify for the professional semester (student teaching), students must spend at least a semester studying abroad in a country where the student’s major language is the primary language. Consult the Education section of this Catalog and/or speak to the coordinator of the teacher education program as early as possible.