Students will work under the supervision of the GIS Specialist and GIS/GPS Technician. Responsibilities will include:
Objectively describe the tasks and responsibilities for this job, either in narrative form or by listing each task or responsibility.
Under supervision, stabilize the collections
Student Research Assistants will work at the ODY Help Desk and will provide first level research assistance to library patrons. They will help patrons:
Locate electronic and print material requested by other institutions using the systems side of the Illiad Interlibrary Loan software, and the integrated library system that is part of ODYsseus. This means mastering library systems distinct from public systems, the systems student workers use require an understanding of all of the processes in Interlibrary Loan. This takes training and for a student to be an effective worker the training must be successful, and it must be expedient.
1. Supervise the Science Library during afternoon, evening and weekend shifts when regular library staff has not been assigned to the facility.
2. Open and/or close the Science Library (this includes entrances/doors, windows, lights, and computer stations);
3. Check public workstations and terminals on a regular basis – restocking with supplies, and notifying appropriate personnel of any problems with the equipment, etc.;
4. Familiar with the emergency procedures for the Science Library including evacuating the facility;
This position has varied duties to perform which include the following:
- Out-processing books for both libraries using the OPAC to change the status, add barcode number to item records.
- Affixing date due slips and barcode labels, inserting tattletape, property stamping, typing spine labels, and affixing labels on books.
- Looking up book records on Sierra to print out call numbers.
- Processing books for both libraries using Sierra to change the status, add barcode number to item records.
Duties as assigned
ODY Service Desk Student Employees work to provide excellent customer service to library patrons seeking to borrow materials and receive technology support. Job responsibilities consist of but are not limited to checking in/out library materials, book shelving and providing IT support over the phone and in person. Applicants must also be available to return to campus early for the fall semester to go through job training.
The student who is qualified for this position must have good communication, time management, word processing, and computing abilities. Basic computer skills are essential as well as some familiarity with the audio visual technology used by the music department. A general knowledge of how ODY’s online catalog works, as well as an understanding of the specific nature of sound recording and music score classification is helpful. The Music Library assistant must work well with the public and be willing and able to communicate effectively with other students and staff.