- Composting 101
- Pre-Consumer Composting - Dana Dining Center diverts food scraps from meal preparation for on-site composting
- Post-Consumer Composting - Community members can participate in composting at the Student Center and North Star Cafe
- Residence Halls Composting - Students can particapte in organic waste diversion at their residence halls.
- Green Composting - Landscaping debris and horse manure are composted on-site
- Composting Stats - In 2017 SLU diverted 91 tons of compostable material from the landfill
- ReUse 101
- Allows community members to divert useable goods from the landfill
- Single Stream Recycling - Recycling bins are located throughout campus and require no sorting
- Recycling Stats - In 2017 SLU recycled 201 tons of recyclable materials - that's 16.75 tons per month!
- Electronics Recycling - Used electronic equipment often contains heavy metals which if not handeld properly could contaminate the environment
- Rechargeable Battery Recycling - The NY Rechargeable Battery Act requires rechargeable batteries to be recycled; special battery recycling areas are located around campus
- What does not get diverted from the waste stream ends up in a landfill
- Landfill Stats - 2017: 544 tons
- All regulated waste (i.e. Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, and Medical Waste) is overseen by the Environmental Health and Safety Department and is handled responsibly and in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws