Presidential Diversity Scholar (PDS) Mentor Application
The Presidential Diversity Scholar’s Mentoring Program matches an interested student with a mentor for one academic year. The goal of this initiative is to support students of diverse background and make sure they have a successful transition to life at St. Lawrence University. Through monthly peer-to-peer meetings in a safe and private environment, mentees will connect and develop rapport with their mentors. Mentors will help students by sharing information about resources and the social scene on campus, talking about personal challenges and concerns, and foster community between first year PDS students and upper-class students at St. Lawrence University.
Desired Experience: Willingness to be a good listener, openness to engage with students across many different aspects of identity including, but not limited to sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socio-economic status, ability, religion, ethnicity, and race. Prior experience with organizing and promoting campus events as well as mentoring and working with students is a plus.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher
- Have lived on campus for a minimum of one year
- Be in good judicial standing
- Must attend trainings (1-2): Mentor trainings each semester will include cultural competency, negotiating identity, personal safety, leadership and mentorship. They will also be given resources to help provide understanding and support to their mentee.
- Meet with mentee once a month and attend one cultural event per semester together
- List of two references
Deadline: Applications are due by March 9th, 2018