Agency and Placement Location: 205 State Street Road, Canton, NY 13617 (two miles from campus)
Transportation: Need Own Transportation, this means that CBL did not automatically reserve a SLU vehicle. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to access available resources to secure transportation. In these cases, a placement site is either considered within walking/biking distance, or is within five miles of campus. Here are some alternative transportation options to consider: use a personal car that you are an insured driver for, walk, or bike. In some cases, it is possible to reserve a university vehicle; however, a student MUST complete SLU's Driver Certification training in order to utilize this transportation.The CBL office does not endorse the idea of students carpooling in personal vehicles and should only be considered after all other options have been exhausted. Should carpooling be necessary, both the driver and any riders must complete transportation waivers.
Mission: According to their website, “Maplewood is part of the United Helpers organization, which, for more than 110 years, has meant homes and services for thousands of North Country seniors, developmentally disabled and mentally ill people and their families. United Helpers offers a variety of services ranging from independent retirement communities to complete long-term care. The mission of the United Helpers organization is to serve our community and help those in need.”
Students will attend during the scheduled activity periods (Monday-Friday: 9:30am-11:30am or 1:30pm-3:30pm). Please note that these are the only times frames available (there are no Saturday or Sunday options).
- Card Games and Puzzles
- General Visiting
- Provide 1:1 Tech Support (iPads, computer, Skype, etc.)
- Assist with transporting residents within facility
- Visiting seniors in the Dementia Unit
- Wii Gaming System: assist the residents in understanding the system and learning new games
- Volunteer Application
- FLU Shot: students choosing this site will be asked to get a flu shot during the flu season. If a student does not want to get a flu shot and would still like to volunteer with Maplewood, he or she will be required to wear a (face/surgical) mask during their placement time.