“Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again...The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
Coming home after living and studying in a new environment can be the most challenging part of the experience.
While you expect to encounter culture shock when you go to a different culture, you don't expect to feel it when you return home or to campus.
Symptoms of reverse culture shock may include:
- Feeling like no one understands you.
- Feeling like nothing has changed.
- Thinking that home is really boring.
- Thinking all of your friends and family are really shallow.
- Believing that everything was much better abroad
You'll find resources below to help you understand and cope with this.