The 2020-2021 academic year at St. Lawrence is structured differently from years past. Unprecedented times call for creative and carefully considered solutions. Our reimagined academic calendar is a result of months of planning while working with Laurentians across our entire campus community. It aims to be as equitable and inclusive as possible and was formed with our mission in mind. We remain committed to providing an inspiring liberal arts education to every student who comes to us with purpose and promise.
In order to provide for a safe educational environment, St. Lawrence shifted to three full semesters and students enrolled in two of the three semesters. The University will limit students in residence to no more than 1,800 students for the fall and spring semesters. We anticipate 700-800 students enrolled in the summer, many on campus and as many enrolled in off-campus programs as safety allows.
Fall Academic Schedule
- Classes begin August 26
- Last day of finals December 11
- Mid-semester break is cancelled.
- Thanksgiving break will be three days (November 25-27).
- Students who choose to leave for Thanksgiving break will complete the remainder of the semester, including finals, at home.
- Students who are on campus may stay on through Thanksgiving break and the end of the regular semester if they wish, with on-campus housing and support services continuing, but all coursework after Thanksgiving, along with final exams, will be conducted remotely to accommodate those who wish to depart at Thanksgiving.
- Students who choose to remain through December 11 will be provided food and supervision during a week we normally do not offer these services.
- International students in residence for Semesters I and II will be permitted to stay on campus between the two semesters. Our plan is to offer the same option for domestic students who have financial need and are from the West Coast or other far away states. Residence Life will have a petition process in place prior to the end of the fall semester for students to request this housing accommodation.
Spring Move-in Dates
Students will be assigned a day and specific time between January 2-9 to stagger arrivals and facilitate testing. Students may not be on campus before their move-in appointment. Students may be accompanied by one family member for move-in but that person may not enter the residence halls. We urge students to pack very lightly for the semester and bring only essential items and clothing they can carry to their room on their own without assistance.
Spring Academic Schedule
- Classes begin January 4 (in online mode through January 7)
- Last day of finals April 16
- Mid-semester and spring breaks are cancelled.
- International students in residence for Semesters II and III will be permitted to stay on campus between the two semesters. Our plan is to offer the same option for domestic students who have financial need and are from the West Coast or other far away states. Residence Life will have a petition process in place prior to the end of the spring semester for students to request this housing accommodation.
- Classes begin May 3
- Last day of finals June 4
- Classes begin June 7
- Last day of finals July 9
- Students will also be able to register for experiences that last through August 13th, though these would not require that they be in residence and will be optional.
Summer offerings will include a variety of programming and, if safety allows, will include on-campus courses with two week travel components (2 Units) in Australia, Belgium, Ghana, Ireland, Israel, London, Nepal, Kenya, and Switzerland; a summer semester in Kenya including an internships course; and a summer semester in New York City. Learn more about the Summer Semester.
Note: Because Summer Semester students will be in residence less time compared to fall and spring semester students, fees for the Summer 2021 semester will be prorated. The comprehensive fee will be $34,357, consisting of tuition ($29,165), room ($2,720), board ($2,330), student activity fee ($137), and class dues ($5).