Medical Withdrawals

In those instances when a student finds her- or himself dealing with serious medical issues, it is possible take medical withdrawals from courses. This may be done either for a portion of the schedule or for the entire schedule. Medical Withdrawals are the responsibility of the Dean of Student Life, who consults in every instance with the Associate Dean for Academic Advising before making a decision.

If a student is interested in taking a medical withdrawal from one or two courses (but not their full course load), there is a form the student must complete, a form for each professor involved to complete, and a requirement that medical documentation be presented to Dean of Student Life for review. The medical documentation may be from campus professionals or outside professionals.

For a complete medical withdrawal, the student will need to meet with either Dean or Associate Dean of Student Life to explain the situation and the reason for the medical withdrawal. He or she will complete a "withdrawal request form" and must provide medical documentation from a health care professional to support the request (again, either from an on-campus or off-campus professional). The Dean of Student Life will review all the information and consult with the Associate Dean for Academic Advising.

Advisors are reminded that medical withdrawals are limited to dire cases of mental or physical breakdowns, accidents, or illness and always require medical documentation. In cases involving substance abuse, students usually first receive personal withdrawals. These might later be changed to a medical withdrawal when certification of treatment is presented to the Dean of Student Life.

Any student wishing to pursue this option should contact the Office of Student Life, Sullivan Student Center, 315-229-5311.