SLU Food Hacks for the Soul
If you're like me, you sit in class and your mind often wanders to planning what you're going to eat for lunch. Maybe you don't think about it much and you go to the Pub and stand there with a golf pencil and an ordering slip in your hand, staring at the menu trying to figure out what you're going to order. Or maybe you have had a bagel with cream cheese for every breakfast this week. If any of this sounds like you, keep reading so I can teach you the way to a magical food experience.
I grew up in a city where I got used to having a wide array of foods at my disposal My go-to's are Dana Dining Hall, our buffet-style eatery and the Pub, which is a customizable order place with a grocery section in the Student Center. I want to admit that I have fallen into some of the same eating habits since getting to college. When this happens, it may feel like there are no options for food. I am here to tell you how I fight the food slump!
- Get yourself a mason jar, a tumbler with a top, a bowl, or even just a cup
- Go to Dana for dinner, get whatever you're going to get at Dana
- At the end of your meal, grab the container you brought and head over to the jar of oatmeal that Dana has at the salad bar and fill it about 1/4-1/2 of the way with the dry oatmeal
- Head over to wherever your favorite milk is and add some to the container
- Here's the fun part. Add your toppings!
- sliced banana
- peanut butter
- berries from the sundae bar
- Nutella from the Pub
When you've put your flavors in, mix it with a spoon and stick it in a fridge overnight. In the morning you'll have delicious oats waiting for you! The best part is you don't have to go for breakfast in the morning. I do this when I have an 8:30 in the morning!
As a college student, the best advice I can give you is to plan ahead. Planning your snacks in between classes can be just as important to make your days go smoothly. Personally, I like to set aside my Sunday afternoon to plan my week and most importantly put together my personalized trail mix!
- While I’m at Dana at the end of my meal, I grab my favorite cereal and put it in a to-go cup.
- Then, I head to the Pub to wander around the candy and nut isles. Now, the pub sells already put-together trail mix, but I choose not to eat those because I refuse to admit that I am an adult and eat raisins.
- Here are some things that I may grab for my mix:
- my favorite chocolate bar (broken up after buying it)
It really depends on the flavor you’re going for! You can go sweet and salty, cheesy, spicy even! Let your imagination guide you.
- Go to the Pub and order two over-easy eggs, grab Instant Noodles from the grocery section and have the pub put hot water in to make the noodles. Add some hot sauce and put the eggs in the cup. Instant boujee ramen!
- Bring your own signature hot sauce to school with you to literally spice things up!
- Order a gluten-free quesadilla for the crunchy deliciousness.
- Order your favorite smoothie from the pub and drizzle some honey on the top.
- Order a hot chocolate and add your own toppings from the candy section.
- There are chicken cutlets at Dana every day. Grab one and grab a bun. Go to the salad bar and the deli station and grab things like shredded lettuce, a cheese slice, chipotle sauce and make your own chicken sandwich.
- Dana iced coffee: start with a cup filled halfway with ice, add any creamer and sugar, pour coffee over this and add more ice. The order is key for not getting watery coffee.”