Distinction & Honors
Degrees with distinction are awarded cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude based on the following cumulative grade point averages:
- 3.3 - 3.599: Cum laude
- 3.6 - 3.849: Magna cum laude
- 3.85 - 4.0: Summa cum laude
Transfer students who have completed at least two full years of course work at St. Lawrence are eligible for all Latin honors. The GPA used to determine eligibility of transfer students is based on St. Lawrence University courses only.
Departmental honors including the multifield and combined major programs, are awarded according to the following policy:
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 in all courses in the major is required.
- The only designation recognizing departmental honors is “Honors.”
- Each student is required to complete a project that emphasizes independent work, the nature of which is determined by the discipline.
- Each department determines the course framework within which the project is completed.
- Each department establishes the minimum standards the project must meet to satisfy the requirements for departmental honors.
- An honors committee consisting of no fewer than three faculty members, at least two of whom are members of the department, is appointed for each honors project. For multi-field majors, at least one member of the committee is one of the major advisors.
- Each department will determine whether or not the honors project will count toward the major. Honors projects taken for academic credit will, however, count toward the maximum of 14 units permitted in one department.
- If the department determines that a completed project does not meet the appropriate standard to be awarded honors but that the project does constitute otherwise acceptable work, a project taken for academic credit receives credit toward graduation and the grade is computed as part of the major and cumulative GPA.
The Dean's List comprises those students who, in the preceding semester, meet all of the following criteria:
- minimum semester GPA of 3.6
- minimum of four courses
- unit value must be one full unit or more for each course
- a numeric grade must be awarded for each course
Students who receive an X grade in an independent study or project and who earn a 3.6 or higher average in a minimum of three or more courses may receive Dean’s List designation.