Registration: Cross-Registration for Students
Cross-registration is a cooperative program designed to expand the educational opportunities available to students of the four colleges of the consortium: St. Lawrence, Clarkson, SUNY Canton and SUNY Potsdam. It provides any full-time matriculated student at a member college the opportunity to enroll in a course offered by another member college to improve the depth and variety of an approved academic program.
Each course will be billed as though it were a course from St. Lawrence University. Each cross-registered course and its associated grade will appear on the St. Lawrence transcript as resident credit, but will be noted as having been taken at a member school. Courses will be noted in units per St. Lawrence University policy on credits from other sources. (e.g. 3 semester hour courses from member schools will appear with a unit value of .83).
Students interested in cross registration must correspond with the registrar’s office of their HOME institution, the institution with which they are matriculated. SLU students may, therefore, contact the St. Lawrence University registrar’s office with any questions. All other students should contact their respective registrar’s office.
- Download a cross-registration form. This may also be obtained from the registrar's office at St. Lawrence University.
- Determine if the cross-registered course will satisfy graduation or other program requirements as appropriate.
- Obtain the following signatures:
- St. Lawrence University advisor,
- SLU department chairperson,
- host institution course instructor (Request signature on the first day of class).
- Return the cross-registration form with all signatures to the registrar's office at St. Lawrence.
Responsibilities & Limitations
- Students may cross-register for a maximum of two courses per academic year. An academic year begins with the fall semester and runs through summer.
- The instructor may ask a cross-registered student to wait until all students at the host institution are enrolled, as cross-registration is provided on a space available basis.
- It is the student’s responsibility to determine if the cross-registered course will satisfy requirements for graduation, license, certification or other or other program requirements as appropriate.
- Cross-registrants must pay any special course fees or associated fees which are expected of students at the host institution.
- Students must adhere to St. Lawrence policies and procedures for incompletes, withdrawals, pass/fail or add/drop of a course.
- All students taking a course at a host college must abide by all appropriate attendance regulation, honor systems, parking regulation etc. at the host institution. Students are individually responsible for arranging to keep up with course work despite calendar disjunctions and, in some case, must arrange for food/lodging when residence halls at the home campus are closed.
Further information may be obtained at the Associated Colleges homepage.