Honor Societies Induct Newest Members
Across campus and academic disciplines, St. Lawrence University students have been inducted as the newest members in their respective local, national and international academic honor societies.
Each student who is inducted into an honor society will be issued a hometown news release though a system called Merit, which will be sent by email and also will be sent to his or her local newspapers. Students will have the ability to create their own Merit page and share their achievements through social media outlets, including Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, helping to construct a positive social identity. A complete list of student achievements can be found at http://stlawu.meritpages.com.
This list will be updated, as new members are inducted for the Spring 2014 semester.
Alpha Kappa Delta
Ten students have been inducted into Alpha Kapp Delta, the international sociology honorary society. To be eligible for the St. Lawrence’s Epsilon Chapter, students must have an overall 3.3 grade-point average (GPA) and have earned a 3.5 GPA in four or more sociology courses. Membership is open to all juniors and seniors who are declared sociology majors, minors or who demonstrate a serious interest in sociology.
The new Alpha Kappa Delta members are:
- Evan Castiranni ’14 of Sellersville, Pa.
- Merrill Clerkin ’14 of Beverly, Mass.
- Natalia Cornell-Roberts ’14 of Ithaca, N.Y.
- Star-Quana Jackson ’14 of Albany, N.Y.
- Renee Lavigne ’14 of St. Albans, Vt.
- Morgan McCall ’15 of Dedham, Mass.
- Joanna Patouris ’14 of Mbabane, Swaziland
- Austin Roney ’15 of Fayetteville, N.Y.
- Taylor Washington ’14 of Honeoye Falls, N.Y.
- Dayle Wilkinson ’14 of Stouffville, Ontario
Art & Art History
Nine students have been inducted into St. Lawrence University's Art and Art History local honorary society. The honorary society offers membership to students who maintain a 3.0 overall grade-point average and have taken four art and art history courses with a 3.5 average, or who have a 3.0 overall GPA and have taken six art and art history courses with a 3.25 average. Applications are solicited twice during the academic year and an induction ceremony takes place in the spring semester.
The new Art and Art history honorary society members are:
- Katharine Mannix ’14 of Queensbury, N.Y.
- Erik Miller ’14 of Deansboro, N.Y.
- Sophie Miller ’14 of West Grove, Pa.
- Madison Schoeberlein ’14 Bloomfield, N.Y.
- Victoria Vossler ’14 of Buffalo, N.Y.
- Amy Feiereisel ’15 of Cedar Park, Texas
- Katelyn Kraunelis ’15 Boxford, Mass.
- Samantha Moffitt ’15 Lebanon, Pa.
- Carolyn Dellinger ’16 of Germantown, Tenn.
Beta Beta Beta
Eight St. Lawrence students have been inducted into Beta Beta Beta, the national biological honor society. The honor society requires students to have an overall GPA of at least 3.25, have completed four biology courses and have earned a 3.5 GPA in those courses. The biology major is one of the most popular programs at St. Lawrence University.
The new Beta Beta Beta members are:
- Martha Wasserbauer ’14 of Livonia, N.Y.
- Katherine Bachman ’15 of Auburn, N.Y.
- Rebecca Edelman ’15 of Hamden, Conn.
- Kathleen Gates ’15 of Buskirk, N.Y.
- Casey Hart ’15 of Portland, Maine
- Quinn Self ’15 of Richmond, Vt.
- Allison Schloop ’15 of Sauquoit, N.Y.
- Madeline Wetterhahn ’15 of Adams, N.Y.
Chi Alpha Sigma
Sixty-four third- and fourth-year St. Lawrence University student athletes have been inducted into Chi Alpha Sigma, an organization established to recognize outstanding college student-athletes who excel in the classroom, in their sport, and in the community.
Students are nominated to this society by their head coaches for their contributions to their team, for their moral character and for having achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher.
The new Chi Alpha Sigma members are:
Rebecca Allen '14, Softball
Chris Anklin '15, Men's Lacrosse
Kelly Appenzeller '15, Alpine Skiing
Victoria Bean '14, Women's Track and Field
Ariel Beccia '14, Women's Cross Country and Track & Field
Parker Benedict '14, Women's Lacrosse and Squash
Kyle Benzing '14, Men's Rowing
Emma Berry '14, Field Hockey
Trevor Bibb '15, Men's Cross Country and Track & Field
Caitlin Boreyko '14, Women's Track and Field
Marissa Boyer '15, Softball
Michael Brewer '14, Men's Rowing
Elizabeth Canne '14, Women's Swimming and Diving
Greg Carey '14, Men's Hockey
Tim Casey '14, Football
Brady Cooper '15, Softball
Tasha Cornell-Roberts '14, Women's Lacrosse
Amy Cymerman '14, Women's Cross Country and Track & Field
Scott Davies '15, Football
Daniel Driscoll '15, Men's Cross Country and Track & Field
Katherine Figueroa '14, Riding
Erica French '15, Field Hockey
Julia Friesen '14, Women's Soccer
Erika Gobeille '14, Women's Soccer
Cassia Hameline '15, Women's Track and Field
Abigail Horan '14, Women's Lacrosse
Brian Kane '14, Men's Track and Field
Anna Kassab '14, Volleyball
Chris Kellogg '14, Baseball
Dillon Knight '15, Football
Nyssa LaClair '15, Women's Soccer
Elizabeth LaPrade '14, Women's Soccer
Kelsey Leder '14, Women's Cross Country and Track & Field
Bobbi Lesser '15, Women's Squash
Eric Lustgarten '14, Nordic Skiing
Brandon Lustig '15, Men's Golf
Anne Martino '15, Women's Cross Country
Kara McDuffee '15, Women's Basketball
Austin Meng '15, Nordic Skiing
Kathryn Mulcahy '15, Nordic Skiing
Meghan O'Brien '15, Women's Track and Field
Grace O'Neil '14, Field Hockey
Christopher Payton '15, Men's Track and Field
Kevin Prindle '14, Baseball
Mark Provost '15, Men's Soccer
Patrick Raley '14, Men's Hockey
Emily Rebehn '14, Women's Track and Field
Christina Robichaud '14, Men's Rowing
Regina Rogers '14, Women's Lacrosse
Austin Roney '15, Men's Soccer
Graham Scott '15, Alpine Skiing
Alan Shortz '15, Men's Tennis
Cassie St. Hilaire '14, Women's Basketball
Payton Stahler '14, Men's Basketball
Carly Stine '15, Women's Track and Field
Andrea Strauss '14, Women's Soccer
Jenna Street '15, Volleyball
Laura Topf '15, Women's Soccer
Tom Vangel '15, Football
Carly VanTassel '14, Women's Lacrosse
Heidi Weiss '15, Women's Rowing
Cailyn Welsh '14, Softball
Corinne Werner '14, Women's Soccer
Amy Yao '14, Women's Rowing
Gamma Sigma Alpha
Forty-two St. Lawrence University students have been inducted into Gamma Sigma Alpha, the national academic Greek honor society. To be a member in Gamma Sigma Alpha, students must be a member of a St. Lawrence fraternity or sorority, be a current junior or senior, and must have either a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher or have a achieved a semester GPA of 3.5 or higher during their junior or senior year.
The new Gamma Sigma Alpha students are:
- Sophia Allocco '14 of Greenwich, Conn.
- Megan Amoroso '14 of Marblehead, Mass.
- Kelly Appenzeller '15 of Huntington, N.Y.
- Cecile (Parker) Benedict '14 of Pittsburgh
- Sarah Bent '15 of Etna, N.H.
- Edward Berke '15 of Bow, N.H.
- Colleen Bradley '15 of Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Kirsta Bray '14 of Branchport, N.Y.
- Katherine Burke '14 of Hingham, Mass.
- Hannah Chute '15 of Orono, Minn.
- Machele Clark '14 of Gardiner, N.Y.
- Merrill Clerkin '14 of Beverly, Mass.
- Matthew Farina '15 of Wellesley, Mass.
- Elizabeth Foster '14 of Rutland, Vt.
- Taylor Gale '15 of Gouverneur, N.Y.
- Anderson Good '15 of Wyndmoor, Pa.
- Andrew Grennon '15 of Cape Elizabeth, Maine
- Alexander Hoimes '14 of San Francisco
- Krysten Koktowski '15 of Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Sarah Kossak '14 of Bedford, N.H.
- Jessie Lewis '14 of Chesterland, Ohio
- Reka Lodinsky '15 of Budapest, Hungary
- Katherine Mazdzer '14 of Saranac Lake, N.Y.
- Morgan McCall '15 of Dedham, Mass.
- Paige McGhee '15 of Pine Plains, N.Y.
- Frances McNierney '14 of Groton, Mass.
- Colby Nadeau '15 of Walpole, Mass.
- Megan Pattison '15 of Hanover, N.H.
- Christina Robichaud '14 of LaFayette, N.Y.
- Christina Rukki '14 of Forest Hills, N.Y.
- Maili Scott '14 of Vineyard Haven, Mass.
- Margaret Shine '14 of Williamstown, Mass.
- Claire Silberg '15 of Fairport, N.Y.
- Sarah Stichter '15 of New Canaan, Conn.
- Zachary Stockman '15 of Killington, Vt.
- Kendra Sultzer '14 of Swarthmore, Pa.
- Jennette Tario '14 of Ballston Spa, N.Y.
- Victoria Vossler '14 of Buffalo, N.Y.
- Alexandra Warlich '14 of New Canaan, Conn.
- Koby Wolfe '15 of Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Julia Zarbetski '15 of South Orange, N.J.
Irving Bacheller English Honor Society
Twenty-six St. Lawrence University students have been inducted into the Irving Bacheller English Honor Society. To be eligible for membership, students must have either completed four English courses and maintained a 3.5 grade point average (GPA) in English or completed six English courses with at least a 3.25 GPA in English and a 3.0 GPA overall.
The Irving Bacheller Society is named for a 1882 graduate of St. Lawrence, who went on to write the first best-selling novel of the 20th century, Eben Holden.
The new Irving Bacheller Society members are:
- Jennifer Brown ’14 of Grand Isle, Vt.
- Holly Brown ’14 of Boxford, Mass.
- Jamie Caroccio ’14 of East Elmhurst, N.Y.
- Julie Collins ’14 of Burlington, Vt.
- Lindsay Murphy ’14 of Clarence, N.Y.
- Amanda Stack ’14 of Lodi, N.Y.
- Sarah Argersinger ’15 of West Monroe, N.Y.
- Kelly Bartlett ’15 of Glenmont, N.Y.
- Christa Burgin ’15 of Delhi, N.Y.
- Danielle Capirci ’15 of Hamilton, N.Y.
- Hannah Chanatry ’15 of Cazenovia, N.Y.
- Jacqueline Colt ’15 of South Deerfield, Mass.
- Natalie Dignam ’15 of Cohasset, Mass.
- Caroline Fleischauer ’15 of Ithaca, N.Y.
- Mallory Garretson ’15 of Cherry Valley, N.Y.
- Emilie Holmgren ’15 of Excelsior, Minn.
- Kathryn Mulcahy ’15 of Glens Falls, N.Y.
- Meghan O’Brien ’15 of Granville, N.Y.
- Maureen Pellerin ’15 of Ellenburg Depot, N.Y.
- Laura Stasi ’15 of Red Bank, N.J.
- Madeline Tiede ’15 of Buffalo, N.Y.
- Charlotte Crawford ’16 of Litchfield, Conn.
- Emma Cummings-Krueger ’16 of Minneapolis
- Rebecca Doser ’16 of Penfield, N.Y.
- Raina Puels ’16 of Dexter, N.Y.
- Olivia Tompkins ’16 of Redding, Conn.
Omicron Delta Epsilon
St. Lawrence University’s New York Chi chapter of Omicron Delta Epsilon, the international honorary in economics, inducted its newest members during a ceremony held on May 8.
Membership is open to students who have taken at least five economics courses at SLU, including Economics 251 and Economics 252 and at least one 300-level course, and have an economics GPA of 3.3 or higher and an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
The new Omicron Delta Epsilon members are:
- Jacob Barker '15
- Elizabeth Bastien '15
- Amanda Carter '15
- George Chapman '15
- Hannah Chute '15
- Lindsey Dirats '15
- Hanna Hamblen '15
- Emily Keable '15
- Sean Kelly '15
- Dillon Knight '15
- Hanane Lahnaoui '15
- Pipeloluwa Mabayoje '15
- David Mango '15
- Anna Manning '15
- Megan Pattison '15
- Corey Peters '15
- Derryen Plante '15
- Graham Scott '15
- John Siuta '15
- Holly Stewart '15
- Thomas Vangel '15
- Alexander Almy '14
- Reena Baskin '14
- Connor Berkery '14
- Matthew Burke '14
- Haley Burrowes '14
- Nikolas Busharis '14
- Stephen Bushnell '14
- Evan Casamento '14
- Stephen Cash '14
- Justin Champlain '14
- Kathryn Christensen '14
- Joshua Ciolek '14
- Michael Dell'Olio '14
- Nicole Evans '14
- Katherine Figueroa '14
- Christopher Frelinghuysen '14
- Ryan Gakeler '14
- Merrit Hall '14
- Nicholas Hart '14
- John Holby '14
- James Hooper '14
- Mallie Kai-kai '14
- Reid Kapinos '14
- Anna Lavanger '14
- Amber Lawyer '14
- Nian Liu '14
- Ngozi Magoli '14
- Samantha Panek '14
- Joanna Patouris '14
- Luke Peleggi '14
- Christina Robichaud '14
- Cassie St. Hilaire '14
- Jennette Tario '14
- Marissa Traver '14
- Victoria Vossler '14
- Arthur Westerfield '14
Pi Mu Epsilon
Eleven St. Lawrence University students have been inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon, the national mathematics honorary society. Membership eligibility for Pi Mu Epsilon varies by class year, but all students must have taken a qualifying number of mathematics courses and have achieved minimum grade-point averages in those courses, as well as overall, depending upon one's seniority.
The new Pi Mu Epsilon members are:
- Kayla Harrison ’14 of Yarmouth, Maine
- Kyle Jones ’14 of Perth, Ontario
- Son Vuong ’14 of Hanoi, Vietnam
- Daniel Driscoll ’15 of DeWitt, N.Y.
- Alaina Larkin ’15 of Clifton Park, N.Y.
- Abigail Ross ’15 of Gilford, N.H.
- Liam Ryan ’15 of Cazenovia, N.Y.
- Sven Gustafson ’16 of Meredith, N.H.
- Nanjiang Liu ’16 of Jinan, China
- Bayard Roberts ’16 of Arlington, Va.
- Yunsi Yang ’16 of San Pablo, Calif.
Emily Crawford ’15 of Morrisonville, N.Y., was accepted in the Fall 0f 2013.
Ten St. Lawrence students have been inducted into Psi Chi, the international honor society for psychology. The honor society requires students to have an overall GPA in top 35 percent in their class and a psychology GPA of 3.4 or higher.
The new Psi Chi members are:
- Kearsten Cubit ’14 of Mercersburg, Pa.
- Stephanie Mergen ’14 of West Chester, Pa.
- Colleen Bradley ’15 of Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Krysten Koktowski ’15 of Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Aerial Ramey ’15 of Whitehall, N.Y.
- Alexis Reinheimer ’15 of Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Meghan Ryan ’15 of Lenox, Mass.
- Claire Silberg ’15 of Fairport, N.Y.
- Lauren Williams ’15 of Simsbury, Conn.
- Julia Zarbetski ’15 of South Orange, N.J.
Sigma Pi Sigma
Two students were inducted into Sigma Pi Sigma, the national honor society for physics. Students must have completed three semesters of college and three physics courses, have a physics cumulative average of 3.0 and rank in the top third of their class.
The new members are:
- Sven Gustafson '16 of Meredith, N.H.
- Xiaoying Lu '16 of Beijing, China