Clara E. Cable was born in Hannibal, NY in 1864. She was a resident of the Fulton, New York area and a teacher in country schools of that part of Oswego County for about 15 years from the 1880s until the early part of the 1900s.
Lewis Murray of Morley in St. Lawrence County, was a soldier for the Union during the Civil War. He served as an orderly in Company K 6th, New York Calvary. His entries start in December of 1861 and end in January of 1864.
The booklet is a 25 page document summarizing Lewis Murray’s time in the 6th NYS Calvary.
This collection documents the activities of Save The River, from its founding in 1978 to present, although some of the earliest years have gaps. The original order of the records is uncertain, reflecting the early evolution of the organization. The collection has been arranged into series in consultation with the current administration of Save The River.
A tintype photograph of a Native American in traditional dress about 1870.
North Country Prism is a Canton-based organization advocating for the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender community in Northern New York. The organization formed in the early 1990s and produces a monthly newsletter, Prism. The group’s website describes North Country Prism as a member organization for LGBT people that meets monthly and provides community members with a place to meet, communicate and promote self-identity and awareness. It notes that meetings of the group are confidential.
This collection contains information about the contemporary issues of the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory. There are a variety of pamphlets, informational packets, articles, newsletters, newspapers and handouts all with information that pertains to the Mohawk reservation. The issues these resources cover span from environmental initiatives to public school education to the annual powwow.
This collection contains letters, maps deeds and other documents describing land speculation, purchases and other transactions in parts of St. Lawrence County prior to 1815.
The collection consists of eight stereoscopic photo cards depicting activities related to a moose hunt by members of the Oh You! Scraggy Club in 1910. None of the people in the photos are identified but five of the three-dimensional images have some writing on the back. The collection also includes a viewer for the images called a Holmes stereoscope.
Dr. James M. Payson was a founding faculty member of the State School of Agriculture, which was founded in 1907 at St. Lawrence University. He was born in South Freedom, Maine in 1848. He was educated in Maine and began a teaching career there until coming to Canton to enroll in the Universalist Theological School here. He married Flora Bassett just before graduating in 1874. He then spent 19 years as a minister in Sherman, New York, Minnesota and Wisconsin until returning to Canton to serve as pastor of the Universalist Church. Upon the founding of the Ag school, Dr.
The collection consists of approximately 450 photographic postcards and lithograph images dating from before the turn of the 20th century to the 1960s. The cards are kept in three different binders with two of the binders containing mostly postcards of scenes, landmarks and streets of towns other than Canton. The third binder is almost exclusively postcards of the town and village of Canton. One of the binders contains a series of photos from “War Maneuvers” that were staged in St. Lawrence County in 1940. Many of the post cards were produced by D. P.