You are here

Fort Drum Collection

Fort Drum Collection

Collection Number: 
36
Collection Length: 
0.25ft
Period: 
1984 to 1985
Finding Aid: 

Fort Drum has been used as a military training site since 1908 when it was known as Pine Camp. The first major expansion of Pine Camp came with the outbreak of WWII. Pine Camp became Camp Drum in 1951, named after Lt. Gen. Hugh A. Drum who commanded the First Army during World War II. The post was designated Fort Drum in 1974 and a permanent garrison was assigned. In April 1980, B. Company, 76th Engineer Battalion was reassigned here from Fort Meade, Md. On September 11, 1984 it was announced that Fort Drum would become the new home of the 10th Light Infantry Division. The first division of troops arrived on December 3, 1984 and the unit was officially activated on February 13, 1985 - when its name was changed to the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry). In 1998, Fort Drum consists of approximately 107,000 acres who's mission is to command active units assigned to the installation, provide administrative and logistical support to units, support to active and reserve units from all services in training at Fort Drum, and planning and support for the mobilization and training of almost 80,000 troops annually. This collection consists of newspaper clippings on the expansion of Fort Drum. These clippings were assembled by Lisa Sizeland, Class of 1987 - St. Lawrence University. Also included is a souvenir booklet Pine Camp and Watertown N.Y. a Pine Camp Guide booklet and three panoramic photos of the camp, all from around 1910.