You are here

Fort Covington Collection

Fort Covington Collection

Collection Number: 
35
Collection Length: 
3.00ft
Period: 
1839 to 1964
Finding Aid: 

Fort Covington was erected from Constable, February 28, 1817, and in the formation of Bombay, reduced to its present limits. Its name is derived from Brig. Gen. Leonard Covington of Maryland who died near Cornwall and was buried on Covington Hill in 1813. The village is east of Salmon River, half a mile from the boundary of the St. Lawrence River. This collection consists of correspondence, a typed manuscript, galleys, maps, notes and photographs of Herbert Donovan's research for his book "Fort Covington and her neighbors: a history of three towns" - the three towns being Fort Covington, Bombay, and Westville. Also included are: several articles written by others on the early history of the area, a scrapbook of letters Donovan received when his book was published, memorabilia from local elections, memorabilia on different presidential campaigns, including booklets on several presidential candidates, (T. Roosevelt, Polk, Grant, Garfield) and 2 campaign songbooks, for 1892 and 1900.