SPOTLIGHT on Alumni - Emma Turell
This series SPOTLIGHTs St. Lawrence alumni who have become or are studying to become librarians.
· What was your class year at St. Lawrence?
· What was your major/minor?
My major was a Multifield in Art, History, and English. (I now wish I had chosen a more traditional major.) My minor was Film.
· Have you worked in any of the St. Lawrence libraries? If so, when, where, what department?
Yes, I worked at the ODY circulation desk for a year. Then I moved on to Technical Services where I worked for about 3 years. Later I did some work in Government Documents. Now, I hold a temporary position at the Science Library circulation desk.
· Why did you decide to become a librarian?
I decided to become a librarian not long after I was hired as a freshman. I loved the environment and the people I worked with. I received lots of care and encouragement from all the librarians and library assistants. I found the work itself satisfying, challenging and it appealed to me as an introverted person who loved preservation and learning. By my sophomore year, I was certain I would pursue an MLIS after graduation.
· At what school will you be studying for your library degree? When do you expect to graduate?
I will be studying this fall at Simmons College in Boston. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure when I will graduate. I'm assuming anytime between 2019 and 2020.
· Do you know what kind of library you’d like to work in after you get your degree (academic, public, special, school…)?
I would most prefer to work at an academic library (like ODY or Launders), however, I would accept any other library with open arms.