Conservation Council Minutes

Date: 
October 5, 2009

Attending: Amanda, Ben, Rick, Louise, Wes Norton, Alle
Wingerter, Chloe Whalen, Ryan Gillard

I.                  
CC/CWG roles

a.      
Due to uncertainties with CNP, CC will stay put
until activities on CNP becomes more defined. 
No change in mission statement at this time.  Wait and see what happens with CWG and
identify projects/programs to work on this semester.  Need to keep looking into this...

 

II.               
Establish a list of potential projects -
short-term/student driven, and long-term/CAP driven / Decide on an agenda for
the semester based on this list

a.      
Reviewed projects page on Green Pages at http://www.stlawu.edu/green/projects.

b.     
Provide inter-year continuity and knowledge
building on projects.

c.      
Wes will work with Eric to put projects on the site.  Amanda will send link to group for all people
to put projects and information about those projects onto it.**Note - Instead,
I will pass along a word doc for everyone to respond to in order to establish a
baseline of information which we will upload to the web site and then discuss
how to continually update the information at our next meeting.

d.     
Need to define goals associated with projects -
what we can do to get stuff done semester-to-semester - one-page descriptions
**This type of information is what I have asked everyone to input to the
circulated word doc.

e.      
Projects:

                                                             
i.     
Green Bikes (make better) - LG to speak with
Phil

                                                           
ii.     
Re-Cellar (make better)

                                                         
iii.     
Weatherization projects off-campus (underway)

                                                         
iv.     
Weatherization projects on-campus

1.     
Outreach of both of the above?  What's being done?

                                                           
v.     
Clothes Drying:

1.     
Removal of some, drying racks, pay-for-drying

                                                         
vi.     
Energy Monitoring Systems (Thelmo Resolution,
FYP, grantwriting)

1.     
Need to tie to Wendel energy audit.

                                                       
vii.     
Campus-wide Anti-idling policy

                                                     
viii.     
Zipcars (Thelmo)

                                                         
ix.     
Transportation: Parking evaluation (pay for
parking), rideboard

                                                           
x.     
Composting

                                                         
xi.     
Recycling (incl. campus redemption center)

                                                       
xii.     
Zero-Waste Pub 56

                                                     
xiii.     
Lettuce Turnip the Beet: Sustainability dining
resolution

                                                     
xiv.     
Policy around no-mow zones, planting of annuals

                                                       
xv.     
Eco-reps, building monitors

                                                     
xvi.     
Sustainability work-study/interns

                                                   
xvii.     
Green endowment initiatives

f.      
Members to capture status of each for
republication back to group.  Begin with
a document that gets written by an individual and sent back to group. 

g.     
Doing so at two levels, for a few different
reasons a.) EAP/Projects to work on, and b.) grant submissions.

h.     
Submit to grant opportunity - what projects to
submit for?  Focus on grant proceeds to
start a self-funding/ongoing project, or project that will be part
of/supportive of/initiating other projects. 
Possible to apply to more than one sponsor:

                                                             
i.     
Energy monitoring system?

                                                           
ii.     
Clothes drying?

                                                         
iii.     
Redemption center (to be done after water
bottles get redemption)

i.       
Amanda L. has student working on grants
identification and writing

j.       
What should CC start tackling now?:

                                                             
i.     
Zipcars

                                                           
ii.     
Grounds policy (Wes)

                                                         
iii.     
Anti-idle (Alle)

                                                         
iv.     
Get case proposals from AASHE website: www.aashe.org

 

III.            
Discuss October 24 International Climate Action
Day activities.

a.      
Jon Rosales has $400 available for pinnies, etc.

b.     
Brad circulated an email with an idea about
splitting wood