Buildings-Facilities - Appendix
Connecticut College: This is a link to a document explaining Connecticut College's commitment to green building . Connecticut College has developed a "green building policy". The policy states how the college will work towards green buildings and who will implement this policy.
Denison University: Built in 1893, Barney Hall is one of the oldest buildings on Denison's campus and is on the National Register of Historic Buildings. As such, the Barney green renovation project attempted to simultaneously balance historical and environmental goals, which ultimately complement each other.
SLU Success Stories:
- The Johnson Hall of Science and Wachtmeister Field Station exemplify St. Lawrence's commitment to sustainability. A sampling of sustainability features for the Johnson Hall of Science includes:
- Air-conditioning chillers will be high efficiency evaporative cooling design - will save $25,000 per year operating energy and offer a pay back period of four to five years.
- Lab casework wood finish will be a flat line finish process - no VOC.
- Dry wall joint compound will have no silicates.
- Carpet has 40% recycled component and is 100% recyclable - will never end up in a land fill.
- Stone masonry is of manufactured stone - better properties, less labor.
- Dimmable fluorescent lighting with occupancy monitors
- Room air exchanges monitored according to occupancy and time of day and the week. Adjusted to minimum during times when no one is in the room.
- Gravity drainage of water and waste instead of ejector pumps that are expensive in maintenance and operation.
- Electric elevator instead of hydraulic piston type - no future hazardous waste factor with hydraulic fluids.
- Intelligent fume hoods with variable flow controls - not on full blast when not in use - will reduce heating /cooling loads.
- from http://www.stlawu.edu/science/sustainability.html
- A sampling of sustainabiligy features for the Wachtmeister Field Station includes such innovations as:
- Passive solar design
- In-floor heating
- Super-insulated windows
- Super-insulated walls