Kahrs Award: Call for Proposals
Attention Global Studies majors!
Call for proposals for the Alfred “Fred” Kahrs Award
***Deadline for proposals: Tuesday, October 29***
What is the Fred Kahrs Award? A competitive award designed specifically to fund research leading to completion of the Global Studies senior project (SYE).
Who is eligible? Global Studies majors who 1) are preparing to do research for their senior project and 2) have not already received funding under the Kahrs Award.
How do I apply? Applicants are expected to discuss their project with their advisor and/or the department chair and to review the departmental learning goals (which are listed on the department website). The application consists of a 2-3 page (single-spaced) proposal that details:
- the proposed research and its relation to the applicant’s SYE;
- the feasibility of the proposed research (including access to information from archives or people, relevant language ability, need for a translator or guide, amount of time available, possible risks involved, etc.);
- the applicant’s preparation to do the research, including relevant information about theory, methods, and previous coursework; experience and connections needed for relevant travel);
- either a draft IRB proposal or a plan for completing and submitting one if any research with human subjects is part of the proposal (see http://www.stlawu.edu/academic-affairs/st-lawrence-university-institutional-review-board-information-resources-online);
- a tentative timetable and budget (include travel costs, accommodations, equipment, funds for necessary translation or for focus groups, etc.); and
- information on any other possible sources of funding; applicants are asked to apply for CIIS fellowships (deadline Nov. 5) to supplement the funds available under the Kahrs award.
Proposals must be submitted electronically to
John Collins, chair of the Global Studies Department
(firstname.lastname@example.org), by Tuesday, October 29.