Click on the link to learn What are First-Year Seminars ?
FYS courses like all other courses will appear in APR 2.0 on Tuesday, October 24th. FYS registration closes on Friday, December 15 at 11:59 p.m. - students can make changes to their FYS on APR, along with other course changes until APR closes on Friday, December 15. See more information under "Important Rules To Know" below.
If you have any problems with registration, please contact the Registrar’s office. For technical problems, contact Information Technology at 315-229-5770.
The normal advising period for the Spring semester opens on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 and continues through Friday, November 3, 2017, select the link below to the Spring FYS Offerings for the titles, full course descriptions, faculty members, class size, and class days and times of FYS courses.
Registering for FYS Courses That Count As A Department Course
When reviewing the FYS course descriptions, please be aware of any courses that count as a department course. If your FYS is equivalent to/counts as a SLU course, you cannot register for that FYS if you already have the equivalent course on your student record, either as residential or transfer credit. (Such as: Students in FRPG 2107 will receive credit for PCA 107. If you have already taken PCA 107 you will not be allowed to register for this FYS. The Register's office will remove you from this FYS on Wednesday during the break in Registration. You will be required to register for another open FYS.) Some examples for this spring semester are listed below. If your FYS has counts as a course, it will be noted in the APR 2.0 course description. Please review the description for details.
Select another FYS course if you have already taken one of these departmental courses:
FRPG 2083, counts as FR 202;
FRPG 2107, counts as PCA 107;
FRPG 2024, counts as PHIL 100; and
FRPG 2041, counts as SSES 212.
Students may take one of these FYS courses, even if they have taken another 100 level course in that department:
FRPG 2070, counts as a 100 level AAH course;
FRPG 2097, counts as a 100 level CS course;
FRPG 2012, is cross-listed with EDUC and can count for one EDUC course;
FRPG 2082 and 2099, count as a 100 level HIST course;
FRPG 2108, counts as a 100 level HIST and AFS course.
Registering for an FYS
Registration opens for EVERYONE at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, November 6 until 11:59 p.m., and all students may choose one course. On Tuesday, November 7, starting at 7:00 a.m. until 11:59 p.m., all students may choose a 2nd course. There is no registration on Wednesday, November 8. On Thursday, November 9, students may choose their 3rd and 4th courses. Registration remains open until the end of classes - it will close at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, December 15, 2017. You may select an FYS during any one of the three registration windows, but recognize if you wait until the final window on November 9, your choices will be limited. FYS registration closes on Friday, December 15 at 11:59 p.m. Remember if you drop a FYS course, the open seat can be picked up by another student. If the seat is taken, you will be required to select another FYS course, we will not place you back into the course seat that you lost. See more info regarding changing your FYS below in Important Rules to Know.
Before registration opens, read through the Spring FYS Offerings for the full course description, faculty member(s), class size, and days and class times. After reading through the course descriptions, add to your Course Plan in APR2 any FYS sections that you are interested in (given that each FYS section has a maximum of 12-17 students, be sure to have more than one choice).
IMPORTANT RULES TO KNOW:
- Financial Holds must be cleared by 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 3, but emergency contact holds can be cleared at any time before registering simply by filling in or updating the missing information.
- Remember if you drop a FYS course, the open seat can be picked up by another student. If the seat is taken, you will be required to select another FYS course, we will not place you back into the course seat that you lost.
- FYS registration on APR2 closes on the last day of fall classes, Friday, December 15th at 11:59 p.m. Registration will re-open for one day only on Tuesday, January 16 from 12 noon until 11:59 p.m., the day before classes begin to make changes to your schedule, including the FYS, only IF there are seats available. After that date, all changes to FYS registrations and other courses must be completed using the add/drop form, which you will find on the Registrar's website. No changes to FYS courses will be accepted after Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM., which is also the last day for Add/Drop for all classes.
- Withdrawal from an FYS course is not permitted, nor may FYS courses be taken on a Pass/Fail basis. FYS courses may count for department, program, ILC, or distribution/diversity credit.
- Add/drop ends on Thursday, January 25, 2018.
- Your FYP advisor will not change until you complete a request to change advisors during your sophomore year. The change of advisor form may be found in the Academic Advising office.
FYP faculty teaching an FYS in spring 2018 are:
Benedict - Rosa Williams
Buys - Paul Siskind and Aswini Pai
Clark - Sarah Barber and Melissa Schulenberg
Corey - JJ Jockel
Eaton - James Norminton
Gaines - Larry Boyette
Holmes - Jeffrey Maynes
Longley - Katie Murphy and Dave Murphy
MacAllaster - Rebecca Jewell and Josh Exoo
Manley - Neil Forkey
O'Connor - Howard Eissenstat
Plaisance - Karyn Crispo
Pomponio - Adam Harr
Reiff - Marianna Locke and Elisa VanKirk
Romer - Paul Graham
Sawyer - Devin Farkas and Rob Haney
Sprague - Bob Cowser
Van de Water - Pamela Thacher
Ward - Richard Lauer
Young - Jennifer Thomas