The deadline for poster printing is Monday, April 23 at noon. The deadline for submitting an abstract was Monday, April 2 at 11:59 pm.
The Student Symposium during the annual Festival of Science (FoS) is a successful, valued, and growing opportunity for SLU undergraduates to share the results of their research with the campus community. Together with the annual Romer and Susan Caroline Ferguson Lectures, the Student Symposium has become an effective showcase of some of the exciting progress in the sciences.
The opportunity to formally present creative work is an invaluable culminating experience for students who have collaborated with faculty on original research projects. Not only do such students educate faculty and fellow students about their original work, these students also apply and hone their communication skills and gain exposure to the format of professional research conferences. Since its inception in 1996, the FoS has become institutionalized to the point where it is now a central focal point of most student research projects in the sciences.
Festival of Science Schedule: All events are located in Eben Holden
- 8:45-9:00 Students set up posters for poster session I
- 9:00am -10:00 Oral Presentation Session I
- 10:00-10:15 Break
- 10:15-11:15 Poster Session I
- 11:15-11:30 Take down/Put up posters
- 11:30-12:30 Oral Presentation Session II
- 12:30-1:30 Poster Session II
- 1:30-1:45 Break/Take down posters
Schedule of speakers is available on the Program and Schedule page.
Additionally, this year we are happy to announce that we will again be integrating the Festival of Science (FoS) and Festival of Scholarship and Creativity (FoSC) together for the the entire Festival Day! In addition to the events from 9:00 am - 1:30 pm, there will be continued Festival Day activities until 10:30 pm. All events from 9:00 am - 1:30 pm will take place in the Eben Holden Conference Center and later events have their locations listed in the schedule below.
- 9:00am -10:00 Festival of Scholarship & Creativity (FoSC) Oral Presentation Session I (Eben Conference Room)
- 10:15-11:15 FoSC Poster Session I (Eben South)
- 11:30-12:30 FoSC Oral Presentation Session II (Eben Conference Room)
- 12:30-1:30 FoSC Poster Session II (Eben South)
- 1:30 - 4:30 FYS Research Exchange (ODY Library)
- 1:45-3:15 Class/department presentations (All across campus)
- 3:15-4:45 FoSC - CIIS Grant Presentations (location: Carnegie 10)
- 4:30-6:00 FoSC - Student Music Recitals (location: Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall)
- 5:30-7:00 FoSC - Art & Art History Senior Art Show Exhibition (location: Brush Art Gallery)
- 8:00-9:30 World of Dance: Spring Dance Concert (location: Gulick Theatre - tickets required)
- 9:30 - 10:30 SLU Funk Ensemble (The Underground)
Students and faculty with questions regarding the Festival of Science are encouraged to contact the Festival of Science liaisons:
- Mike Temkin, Biology (2018 festival co-coordinator)
- Antun Husinec, Geology (2018 festival co-coordinator)
- Sam Byrne, Environmental Studies (2018 student & faculty liaison)