The deadline for submitting an abstract is Monday, April 2 at midnight. The deadline for poster printing is Monday, April 23 at noon.
The Student Symposium during the annual Festival of Science (FoS) is a successful, valued, and growing opportunity for SLU undergraduates to share the results of their research with the campus community. Together with the annual Romer and Susan Caroline Ferguson Lectures, the Student Symposium has become an effective showcase of some of the exciting progress in the sciences.
The opportunity to formally present creative work is an invaluable culminating experience for students who have collaborated with faculty on original research projects. Not only do such students educate faculty and fellow students about their original work, these students also apply and hone their communication skills and gain exposure to the format of professional research conferences. Since its inception in 1996, the FoS has become institutionalized to the point where it is now a central focal point of most student research projects in the sciences.
Details for the 2018 Festival Day schedule will be forthcoming. Below is the information for the 2017 Festival Day.
Additionally, this year we are happy to announce that we will again be integrating the Festival of Science (FoS) and Festival of Scholarship and Creativity (FoSC) together for the the entire Festival Day! In addition to the events from 9:00 am - 1:30 pm, there will be continued Festival Day activities until 7:00 pm. All events from 9:00 am - 1:30 pm will take place in the Eben Holden Conference Center and later events have their locations listed in the schedule below.
Festival Day Schedule:
- 8:45-9:00 Students set up posters for poster session I
- 9:00am -10:00 Oral Presentation Session I
- 10:00-10:15 Break
- 10:15-11:15 Poster Session I
- 11:15-11:30 Take down/Put up posters
- 11:30-12:30 Oral Presentation Session II
- 12:30-1:30 Poster Session II
- 1:30-1:45 Break/Take down posters
- 1:00 - 4:30 FYS Research Exchange (location: ODY Library)
- 1:45-3:15 Class/department presentations (All across campus)
- 3:15-4:45 FoSC - CIIS Grant Presentations (location: Carnegie 10)
- 4:30-6:00 FoSC - Senior Music Recitals (location: Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall)
- 5:30-7:00 FoSC - Senior Art Show Opening Reception (location: Brush Art Gallery)
- 8:00-9:30 Spring Dance Concert (location: Gulick Theatre)
Students and faculty with questions regarding the Festival of Science are encouraged to contact the Festival of Science liaisons:
- Eileen Visser, Biology (2017 festival co-coordinator)
- Antun Husinec, Geology (2017 festival co-coordinator)
- Emily Dixon, Biology and Chemistry (2017 student liaison)
- Sam Byrne, Environmental Studies (2017 faculty liaison)