The financial aid application process may seem both complicated and overwhelming. However, if you meet the application deadlines and complete all of the required forms, you will find the entire process straightforward. The St. Lawrence University financial aid staff is available by phone, on-line, or in-person to assist you every step of the way.
Applying for financial aid is an annual process. There are many factors used in calculating eligibility for financial aid. Changes in family financial circumstances might affect your eligibility for need-based student aid each year.
In order to apply for financial aid through St. Lawrence University and the Federal government the first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There is no charge for submitting this form. The form is available to complete by either paper or on-line.
- FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA): The FAFSA is a student's application for Federal and need-based aid programs. Students should file on line (www.fafsa.ed.gov/). Please Note: You cannot file the FAFSA prior to January 1st of the award year in question.
You will need information from the following documents to complete your FAFSA and other financial aid application forms. (And, the SLU Financial Aid Office will request certain copies of some of these forms for verification purposes.)
- Your driver's license (if available) and social security card/number.
- Your income tax returns, W-2 forms, and 1099 forms for the previous year (if applicable). If the student is married, you will also need the documents for the student's spouse.
- Current bank statements and mortgage information.
- Records relating to stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other investments.
- Documentation of non-taxable income, such as Social Security income, AFDC, and Veterans Benefits.
- VERIFICATION WORKSHEET: At St. Lawrence University all applicants for financial aid go through a review in a process called “Verification.” In this process, St. Lawrence will be comparing information from your application with signed copies of your prior year Federal tax forms, and/or with W-2 forms or other financial documents. The law says we have the right to ask you for this information before awarding Federal aid. If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, St. Lawrence will need to make corrections electronically to your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- GRADUATE STUDENT BUDGET WORKSHEET: Completing the Graduate Student Budget Worksheet will allow the Financial Aid Office to know your educational plans for the upcoming academic year. This form will also allow the Financial Aid Office to compile a customized financial aid package that meets your individual requirements.
- TAX INFORMATION: St Lawrence will require copies of your prior year Federal income tax return (if applicable) as well as copies of your corresponding W2(s). If you are married, you will also need to provide copies of your spouse’s Federal income tax return and W2(s) as well.
Additionally, if you receive non-taxable income such as Social Security income, AFDC, and Veterans Benefits, etc… you will need to submit documentation verifying the benefit amount(s) you received in the prior year.