- Submit the completed Application Form for the appropriate program of study to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Submit a statement of reasons for wishing to enter a graduate program. Each program has separate requirements and/or questions outlined on the application form.
- Arrange to have official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate study forwarded to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Arrange for three current letters of reference, attesting to the candidate’s aptitude for graduate study (and where appropriate for work in the certificate area in the schools), sent directly by the writer to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Arrange to have current immunization records sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Admission will not be granted until documentation has been received.
- Arrange for an interview with the program coordinator.
- Candidates for the Graduate Program in School Leadership must meet additional requirements, as specified in the program description on this website.
- GRE scores for all graduate programs are optional.
- For students whose first language is not English, results of the TOEFL test may be required.
* Note: Applications to the M.Ed. in School Counseling and M.S. in Mental Health Counseling programs are accepted only on April 1 of each year for fall admittance.
Download the graduate program application (pdf), complete, and forward to the Office of Graduate Admissions, St. Lawrence University, Atwood Hall, Rm 20, Canton, NY 13617. (FAX 315-229-7423) For further information, contact the Department of Education, 315-229-5861.
The completed application will be considered by the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Department of Education, and the applicant will be notified of its action. Application for admission must be submitted prior to the completion of 12 semester hours of graduate study (or 4 graduate courses). Any graduate coursework completed prior to admission MUST be approved by the advisor to be acceptable for credit in a degree program.
Information for Foreign Students
Each foreign student must have a completed Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) in order to study at the University. Upon the student's admission to the graduate program, the department of education will forward copies of the completed application and the letter of admission to the University's office of international and intercultural education . It is the student’s responsibility to work with that office to complete the following documents:
- copy of completed application
- copy of acceptance letter
- copy of Certificate of Finances
- copy of any financial aid award (if applicable)
Upon receipt of these documents, the University’s office of international and intercultural education will complete the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) and send it to the student.
Information for Assistant Coaches
Part-time, assistant coaches at St. Lawrence University are eligible to register for academic courses under tuition remission. If you are interested in applying to one of our graduate programs in Education, call the Office of Graduate Admission to make an appointment with one of our program coordinators.
Graduate Program Interest Form
If you are interested in any of our graduate programs and would like more information, please click the following link and complete the online form.