Admissions Procedures for Matriculating Students:
1. Complete the online Graduate Programs Application Form found at: Graduate Programs Application
2. Submit a Statement of Purpose. Each program has separate requirements and/or questions outlined on the application form. Visit https://www.stlawu.edu/education/personal-statement-admission for guidelines and suggestions.
3. Arrange to have official transcripts of previous undergraduate and graduate study forwarded to the Office of Graduate Admissions. In order to enroll in graduate or CAS coursework, we must be able to verify that a bachelor's or master's degree has been awarded.
4. Arrange for (3) current letters of reference, attesting to your aptitude for graduate study (and where appropriate for work in the certificate area in the schools), sent directly by the writer to the Office of Graduate Admissions. If applying to the General Studies program, include 3 recent recommendations about prospects for teaching in certificate area (e.g. command of and interest in content knowledge, ability to work with adolescents and/or peers, ability to express or explain self orally and in writing, etc.)
5. Arrange to have your GRE Exam results forwarded to the Office of Graduate Programs. This is in compliance with New York State's Department of Education requirement which took effect July 1, 2016. (In December 2017, the Governor signed a bill amending the Education Law so that certified teachers and educational leaders who already hold a graduate degree are no longer required to take either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or a substantially equivalent admission examination for entry into graduate teacher education or educational leadership programs.) For more information regarding GRE exams and helpful resources, please visit www.ets.org/gre.
6. Arrange for an interview with the program coordinator.
7. For students whose first language is not English, results of the TOEFL test may be required.
8. Upon admission to our graduate programs, you will be required to provide proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), and you will be required to submit a signed MMV consent form.
9. An application fee of $50 is required before the graduate application is reviewed. Online payments may be made here.
(University employees and assistant coaches are exempt from the paying the $50 application fee. Once you have submitted your application, you may close out of the browser without continuing on to the payment page.) For assistance, please contact our office.
Procedures For Enrolling as a Non-Matriculated Student:
1. Submit the online application for Non-Matriculating Students found at: Non-Matriculation Application
2. Forward an official transcript to the Office of Graduate Programs. NOTE: You will not be eligible to register for graduate coursework until our office has received transcripts verifying that a baccalaureate or Master's degree has been earned. After our office receives your application and transcript(s), you will receive a confirmation packet by mail with instructions on how to register. (If you earned your degree(s) at St. Lawrence University, you only need to submit an advising transcript of your coursework.)
3. Arrange for a meeting with the program coordinator.
4. Students enrolling in less than 6 credit hours (2 courses) will not be required to provide proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) and will not be required to submit a signed MMV consent form.
Students enrolling in 6 credit hours or more are required to provide proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) and will not be allowed to attend classes until the required documentation has been received. Health forms are available at: https://www.stlawu.edu/health-and-counseling-services/information-new-students
PLEASE NOTE: Students enrolling as a non-matriculated student may only register for up to (4) courses before they are required to matriculate into a program of study.
Graduate Program Application Form:
The online application can be found by visiting Graduate Program Application. The completed application will be reviewed and considered by the program coordinator and the applicant will be notified of his/her action by mail. Applications for admission must be submitted prior to the completion of 12 semester hours of graduate study (or 4 graduate courses) at St. Lawrence University. Any graduate coursework completed prior to admission MUST be approved by the program coordinator to be acceptable for credit in a degree program.
Information for Foreign Students
Each foreign student must have a completed Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) in order to study at the University. Upon the student's admission to the graduate program, the department of education will forward copies of the completed application and the letter of admission to the University's office of international and intercultural education. It is the student’s responsibility to work with that office to complete the following documents:
· copy of completed application
· copy of acceptance letter
· copy of Certificate of Finances
· copy of any financial aid award (if applicable)
Upon receipt of these documents, the University’s office of international and intercultural education will complete the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) and send it to the student.
Information for University Employees and Assistant Coaches
University employees and assistant coaches at St. Lawrence University are eligible to register for academic courses under tuition remission. If you are interested in applying to one of our graduate programs in Education, call the Office of Graduate Programs to make an appointment with one of our program coordinators. Please note that University employees and assistant coaches are exempt from the paying the $50 application fee. When you have submitted your application, you may close out of the browser without continuing on to the payment page. For assistance, please contact our office.