Graduate Admissions

Admissions Procedures for Matriculating Students:

1.  Complete the online Graduate Programs Application Form found at:

2.  Submit a statement of reasons for wishing to enter a graduate program. Each program has separate requirements and/or questions outlined on the application form. Visit for guidelines.

3.  Arrange to have official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate study forwarded to the Office of Graduate Admissions.  In order to enroll in graduate or CAS coursework, we must be able to verify that a bachelor's or master's degree has been awarded.

4.  Arrange for (3) current letters of reference, attesting to your aptitude for graduate study (and where appropriate for work in the certificate area in the schools), sent directly by the writer to the Office of Graduate Admissions.  If applying to the General Studies program, include 3 recent recommendations about prospects for teaching in certificate area (e.g. command of and interest in content knowledge, ability to work with adolescents and/or peers, ability to express or explain self orally and in writing, etc.

5.  Arrange to have your GRE Exam results forwarded to the Office of Graduate Programs.
(Applicants to the Teacher Education and Educational Leadership Certification Programs only are required to take the GRE exams and must meet additional requirements, as specified in the program descriptions on our website.)  For more information regarding GRE exams and helpful resources, please visit

6.  Arrange for an interview with the program coordinator.

7.  For students whose first language is not English, results of the TOEFL test may be required.

8.  Upon admission to our graduate programs, you will be required to provide proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), and you will be required to submit a signed MMV consent form.  Health forms are available at:

9.  An application fee of $50 is required before the graduate application is reviewed.  Online payments may be made here.

PLEASE NOTE: GRE Exams are required for those individuals who are applying to the Teacher Education and Educational Leadership Certification Programs.  Please arrange to have your scores forwarded to the Office of Graduate Programs.

Enrolling in coursework as a Non-Matriculated Student:

1.  Submit the online application for Non-Matriculating Students found at:

2. Forward an official transcript to the Office of Graduate Programs.  NOTE: You will not be eligible to register for graduate coursework until our office has received transcripts verifying that a baccalaureate degree has been earned. After our office receives your application and transcript(s), you will receive a confirmation packet by mail with instructions on how to register. (If you earned your degree(s) at St. Lawrence University, you only need to submit an advising transcript of your coursework.)

3.  Arrange for a meeting with the program coordinator.

4.  Students enrolling in less than 6 credit hours (2 courses) will not be required to provide proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) and will not be required to submit a signed MMV consent form.  

Students enrolling in 6 credit hours or more are required to provide proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) and will not be allowed to attend classes until the required documentation has been received.  Health forms are available at:

PLEASE NOTE: Students enrolling as a non-matriculated student may only register for up to (4) courses before they are required to matriculate into a program of study.

Graduate Program Application Form:

The online application can be found by visiting  Paper applications may be obtained by clicking here or may be picked up at the Office of Graduate Admissions, Atwood Hall, Rm 20.  Paper applications may be submitted to our office directly or faxed to (315) 229-7423.  For additional information, contact the Department of Education at (315) 229-5861.

The completed application will be reviewed and considered by the Graduate Program Coordinator and the applicant will be notified of his/her action by mail.  Application for admission must be submitted prior to the completion of 12 semester hours of graduate study (or 4 graduate courses).  Any graduate coursework completed prior to admission MUST be approved by the advisor to be acceptable for credit in a degree program.

Information for Foreign Students

Each foreign student must have a completed Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) in order to study at the University. Upon the student's admission to the graduate program, the department of education will forward copies of the completed application and the letter of admission to the University's office of international and intercultural education.  It is the student’s responsibility to work with that office to complete the following documents:

·        copy of completed application

·        copy of acceptance letter

·        copy of Certificate of Finances

·        copy of any financial aid award (if applicable)

Upon receipt of these documents, the University’s office of international and intercultural education will complete the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) and send it to the student.

Information for University Employees and Assistant Coaches

Part-time, assistant coaches at St. Lawrence University are eligible to register for academic courses under tuition remission.  If you are interested in applying to one of our graduate programs in Education, call the Office of Graduate Admission to make an appointment with one of our program coordinators.  Please note that assistant coaches are exempt from the paying the $50 application fee.  For this reason, the application below should be used instead.

Graduate Program Application
Checklist for University Employees/Assistant Coaches
Immunization Form

Graduate Program Interest Form

If you are interested in any of our graduate programs and would like more information, please click the following link and complete the online form.

Interest Form