Agency and Placement Location: 309 Miner Street, Canton, NY 13617 (1.5 miles from campus)
Transportation: Need Own Transportation, this means that CBL did not automatically reserve a SLU vehicle. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to access available resources to secure transportation. In these cases, a placement site is either considered within walking/biking distance, or is within five miles of campus. Here are some alternative transportation options to consider: use a personal car that you are an insured driver for, walk, or bike. In some cases, it is possible to reserve a university vehicle; however, a student MUST complete SLU's Driver Certification training in order to utilize this transportation.The CBL office does not endorse the idea of students carpooling in personal vehicles and should only be considered after all other options have been exhausted. Should carpooling be necessary, both the driver and any riders must complete transportation waivers.
Mission: According to their website, "littleGrasse is a diversified small-scale farm that produces and distributes vegetables and herbs for people living or working in the Canton-area. The model we follow is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). Our CSA encourages a meaningful connection between YOU the shareholders, US the farmers and THE FOOD that is naturally grown in the 3 acres of gardens."
Getting ready for the 2018 growing season (involves both indoor and outdoor activities):
- Taking inventory and ordering seeds,
- Planting calendar,
- Social media for farm,
- Planting in the greenhouse,
- Preparing beds for planting,
- Seeding and transplanting in the field,
- Weeding perennials,
- Kitchen projects (making sauerkraut and/or pickling carrots/beets).
- Students will be working outdoors in all kinds of weather so appropriate dress such as the following is required: warm hat (not cap), LAYERS of clothing (that you are not afraid to get dirty), (warm) closed-toe/waterproof boots or muck boots (weather dependent), and warm gloves.
DO NOT WEAR: (only) LEGGINGS or ANKLE socks
NOTE: if you are not dressed appropriately, you are not prepared; if you are not prepared, you are not productive!