E. B. Wilson, a member of the Class of 1953, was elected to the Board of Trustees in 1985, the capstone of his lifelong commitment of service to alma mater-service that included career advising and advancement responsibilities. Ten years later, University trustees recognized Mr. Wilson's outstanding leadership skills, integrity, intelligence and inspiration and elected him chairman of the Board.
Mr. Wilson's six-year tenure established, through judicious counsel and gracious deportment, the qualities of trust and communication among Board members and between the Board of Trustees and the many Laurentian constituents so critical to board leadership. Such trust enabled the University to begin a multi-year initiative to strengthen the University's curricular and co-curricular programming, improve facilities, assure excellence in the faculty and professional staff who come together to educate its students, and secure funding to support its goals. Indeed, in their citation at the end of his term as board chair, the St. Lawrence faculty called the period of St. Lawrence history that began with Mr. Wilson's chairmanship "a renaissance" in celebration of the achievements and energy that characterize it. When he retired from the Board of Trustees in 2001, his colleagues voted E. B. Wilson the title of chair emeritus.
Through affiliation with the Association of Governing Boards and leadership of the National Executive Service Corps of New England, E. B. Wilson, who is retired from a 40-year career in global corporate management, extended his skills in service to higher education and non-profit policymaking. St. Lawrence takes deep satisfaction in offering this, its highest and most public honor, the degree, Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa.