Patti McGill Peterson Center for International and Intercultural Studies
The language courses are designed to help students practice and interact in Chinese with their homestay families and during site visits on the program. Field trips and lectures are integrated into the academic curriculum to provide a deeper understanding of what is learned in the classroom. Complementing the classroom work is a series of visits to Chinese companies and factories, government agencies, museums, temples, and other sites.
CIEE encourages students to get immersed in Chinese culture and to enrich their experience in Shanghai by:
• reimbursing students for their participation in local cultural activities,
• offering peer language tutors
• maintaining volunteer opportunities
• organizing an optional language clinic for students who need additional help
• planning monthly group meals with Chinese speakers
Students have a mid-semester break during which they may travel around China.