Transportation for Specific Courses:
- There will be times when the CCE van or another SLU vehicle is reserved for students to transport themselves to specific placements, however this is not guaranteed. Such times include if the professor arranges the transportation for the course. If this is the case, a SLU vehicle will be reserved for use only if the student is a SLU Certified Driver.
SLU Student Driver Certification: If a SLU vehicle is reserved, all students over 18 years of age with a valid US issued driver’s license are strongly encouraged to become a Certified Driver and to rotate driving responsibilities. Students will be given two weeks’ after notification of placement decisions to complete the Driver Certification training and approval process through the Security & Safety office. If after two weeks there are no Certified Drivers within a group traveling, the SLU vehicle will not be available and the student(s) will need to find their own transportation. Please be advised, it is not the responsibility of the professor, the Community Mentor, the Community Partner Supervisor or the CBL staff to provide rides to and from the CBL placement site or to be the Certified Driver for the SLU vehicle.
If Transportation is NOT Scheduled by the Professor:
- If transportation is not scheduled, it is the individual student's responsibility to find transportation to and from the placement. With this said, if the student does not have a personal car, it is very important when selecting CBL placement sites that they do not choose a placement that requires the student to provide their own transportation. For more information: Student Transportation Options
- Transportation Waivers are required to be on file at the CCE for all students driving or riding in personal cars. To download these forms, please see pdf documents at the bottom of this page.
- CCE Van or FYP Van: If you have a group of 3 or more and there is funding available, you may submit a request to reserve the CCE van or FYP van. To do so, please fill out the CCE Transportation Request Form. You will receive a response within two business days (M-F) stating if the van is available and given further instructions.
- Facilities Fleet Vans and Cars: If you are driving yourself or a group smaller that 3 OR If you have submitted a SLU Van request form for the CCE Van or FYP van for your group and you receive an email stating it is not available, you will need to reserve another SLU vehicle from Facilities Operations. This is only offered if funding is available. For more information on reserving vehicles through Facilities Operations, visit their website.
Mileage Reimbursement for Placements Outside of Canton:
- If funds are available, students traveling outside of Canton may be eligible for Mileage Reimbursement for using their personal car up to a maximum of $100 per placement. More information will be sent to eligible students after all placements are assigned. For these students a Mileage Reimbursement Application must be completed by the fourth week of classes. If approved, the student will need to submit a Student Mileage Log as well as the Student Time Log via the Online Mileage Log Submission Form by the last day of classes to receive the reimbursement by finals week.
- Please Note: Mileage Reimbursement is only available until funds are depleted. Also, if a student has an opportunity to travel in a SLU vehicle that has been reserved or carpool with another student, they are NOT eligible to receive reimbursement.