There are many opportunities to work abroad however, work permits and visas aren't always that easy to come by. Some countries may be easier to work in than others. For example, any country in the European Union will be more difficult to obtain a visa for than Australia or New Zealand. Each country is also going to have its own visa application process and regulations. Going Global is a great resource for learning about visa applications and for searching for jobs in a variety of countries.
When thinking about working abroad, here are some things to consider:
- Do you want to work short-term? Or do you see this as a long term move?
- What kind of work would you want to do?
- Where do you want to be and why?
- What prepares you to work abroad? (Fluent in another language? Visited the host country?)
- What are the immigration regulations where you are applying?
- Have you considered working in the US with an international organization?
Applying for both short and long term positions abroad is the same process as applying for jobs in the United states. You will need:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- Interview Skills
- References or Letters of Recommendation