What is Mathematics?
In this program, you will learn to use mathematical methods
in solving problems. You will focus on the analysis of quantities,
magnitudes, forms, and their relationships, using symbolic logic and
language. Pure mathematics is the study of quantitative and qualitative
relationships expressed in numbers or symbols; it is the study of
abstract systems and patterns. Very theoretical and abstract, it
includes disciplines such as algebra, calculus, geometry, trigonometry,
probability, and statistics. Students begin work by taking core courses
in calculus. Later, they take more complex mathematics courses, such
as linear algebra, differential equations, group theory, and symbolic
logic, and emphasize analytic reasoning.
For the mathematics major, there are courses in pure
mathematics, applied mathematics and statistics. These courses prepare
students for the many careers in which mathematics plays a major role.
Many of our student majors pursue advanced degrees after graduation in
the mathematical sciences as well as in such diverse fields as
medicine, law and business administration.
Working in Mathematics
Characteristics and Skills Necessary for Success
- Interest in solving problems and puzzles
- Ability to think logically and analytically
- Good computational skills
- Proficient in organizing, synthesizing, and analyzing numerical data
- Able to concentrate for long periods of time
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing
- Ability to conduct and interpret research studies
Sample Job Titles
Learning More About Mathematics
- Visit the Career Services office and check out our Career Resource Library
- Great Jobs for Math Majors
- Visit the SLU Mathematics Department website
- Check out Global Studies course descriptions in the Catalog
- Talk with a professor in Global Studies about the major. Click here for a list of possible questions to ask.
- Perform an informational interview with a professional in the field. Click here for information on how to find a professional, contacting them, and a list of possible questions.
- Get connected with SLU alum in the field through SAINTSLink, participate in Shadow-a-Saint or complete an Internship.
Related Majors and Minors at SLU