A St. Lawrence education is not something you get; it’s something you do. And there’s no better way to learn about your unique gifts and purpose than through direct experience. St. Lawrence students do as many as three or four internships during their undergraduate years. Internships and other experiential learning opportunities can help to clarify your interests, refine your understanding of how academic aptitude applies to the world of work, hone your skills, and develop your passion to make a difference in your pursuits. This section of the career services web pages focuses on various ways to gain experience.
Gain experience through internships and jobs.
- Handshake (log in and find “Jobs” in the left side bar)
- LACN (Liberal Arts Career Network) and NIC [For your initial log-in use your full SLU e-mail for both username and password. Once within the LACN site you will be able to jump to NIC].
- Research and other SLU programs
- Other databases
Gain experience through networking.
Gain experience through Signature SLU Career Programs
Gain experience through additional activities.
- volunteering and community-based learning programs
- study abroad or St. Lawrence programs in other cities
- clubs, organizations, and leadership opportunities on campus
- research and fellowships
- registering for upcoming workshops, non-credit courses, employer visits, programs and events
And, of course, gain experience through your formal studies--in the lab, on the stage, in the studio, on the playing field, and through the methods of your disciplines. Laurentians learn by doing.
Never forget, people are probably the most important resources you have at every stage of career development. Grow your career community by leveraging the relationships you have; family, friends, affiliations, employers and, most important, St. Lawrence alumni. Fellow Laurentians are some of the most dedicated and influential alumni anywhere, so start to polish your networking skills, begin reaching out to alumni through LinkedIn and join the St. Lawrence LinkedIn Group. Also, connect with them through special programs designed to foster student-alumni connections.