Thoroughbreds Down Saints, 6-3
April 28: The St. Lawrence University women's tennis team suffered a tough 6-3 loss to nationally ranked #17 Skidmore College on Saturday afternoon in the Newell Field House. The Saints, ranked #17 in the Northeast, fell to 12-3 on the season, while the Thoroughbreds improved to 10-5 overall.
Hillary Drewry, ranked #24 in the region in singles, highlighted the day with a 7-5,6-4 victory over regionally ranked #23 Melissa Hirsch at No. 1 on "senior day".
First-year student Elkie Vandenbeemt and junior Shannon Murphy also earned singles victories for the Saints. Vandenbeemt's No. 2 match ended with her ahead of Tory Engros 6-1, 2-1, while Murphy topped Delany Scollan 6-2,6-3.
Skidmore swept the doubles competition en route to its 6-3 win. Nataly Mendoza and Melissa Hirsch defeated Drewry and Vandenbeemt 8-4 at No. 1, and Scollen and Rachel Plevinsky outlasted first-year students Olivia Arroyo and Anna Young at No. 3, 8-6. Murphy and classmate Elizabeth Geer battled hard against Robyn Baird and Engros, but were edged 9-8(6).
The Saints will be back in action on May 5 at the 2012 Liberty League Championships held in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Skidmore 6, St. Lawrence 3
Newell Field House
April 28, 2012
1. Hillary Drewry (SLU) def. Melissa Hirsch (SKID) 7-5, 6-4
2. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) def. Tory Engros (SKID) 6-1, 2-1 SLU leading
3. Nataly Mendoza (SKID) def. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Robyn Baird (SKID) def. Elizabeth Geer (SLU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. Delany Scollan (SKID) 6-2, 6-3
6. Sam Kogan (SKID) def. Anna Young (SLU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Mendoza/Hirsch (SKID) def. Drewry/Vandenbeemt (SLU) 8-4
2. Baird/Engros (SKID) def. Murphy/Geer (SLU) 9-8(6)
3. Scollan/ Rachel Plevinsky (SKID) def. Arroyo/Young (SLU) 8-6
St. Lawrence: 12-3, #16 in the Northeast
Skidmore: 10-5, #17 nationally, #6 in the Northeast