Saints Move to 12-2 with Victory Over RIT
April 21: The St. Lawrence University women's tennis team, ranked No. 16 in the Northeast, improved to 12-2 on the season with a 7-0 win over RIT in Pittsford, NY.
The Saints won three doubles matches and the first four singles matches before the contest ended because the electricity went out in the facility.
Senior Hillary Drewry teamed up with first-year student Elkie Vandenbeemt at No. 1 to defeat Marie Revekant and Maite Vera Antelo 8-1. At No. 2, juniors Elizabeth Geer and Shannon Murphy topped Sara Bjork and Lindsey Gibson 8-1, while first-year students Olivia Arroyo and Anna Young blanked their opponents at No. 3, 8-0.
Drewry earned a 6-4,2-6,(10-6) victory at No. 1 singles, while Vandenbeemt beat her opponent 6-0, 6-2. Arroyo earned a win at No. 3, 6-3,6-0, while Geer earned a victory at No.4 6-0,6-1. Murphy and first-year student Hannah Langsdale did not get to finish their matches at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, due to the power outage. Murphy was leading 4-2, while Langsdale was behind 4-5 (0-15).
The Saints will be back in action on April 28 when they celebrate "Senior Day" to honor Drewry, the team's member of the Class of 2012. The match is scheduled for 2:00 pm at the Sammis Tennis Courts.
St. Lawrence 7, RIT 0
Pittsford, NY (Mendon Racquet & Pool Club)
April 21, 2012
1. Hillary Drewry (SLU) def. Maite Vera Antelo (RIT) 6-4, 2-6, (10-8)
2. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) def. Sara Bjork (RIT) 6-0, 6-2
3. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) def. Kristen Rice (RIT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Elizabeth Geer (SLU) def. Lindsey Gibson (RIT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Shannon Murphy (SLU) vs. Marie Revekant (RIT) 4-2 SLU leading
6. Hannah Langsdale (SLU) vs. Kat Pillman (RIT) 4-5 (0-15) RIT leading
1. Hillary Drewry/Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) def. Marie Revekant/Maite Vera Antelo (RIT) 8-1
2. Elizabeth Geer/Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. Sara Bjork/Lindsey Gibson (RIT) 8-1
3. Olivia Arroyo/Anna Young (SLU) def. Kat Pillman/Kristen Rice (RIT) 8-0
St. Lawrence: 12-2; #16 in the Northeast Region