#26 Lions Edge Saints to Remain Undefeated
March 11: The St. Lawrence University women's tennis team, ranked #15 in the Northeast, suffered a 6-3 loss to nationally-ranked #26 The College of New Jersey in its opening match of Orlando competition. The Lions remain undefeated on the season with a 10-0 record. Meanwhile, the Saints battled hard with their nationally-ranked opponent, but couldn't pull of the upset and fall to 2-2 on the season.
TCNJ jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead with wins at four and six, before Shannon Murphy defeated Sarah Lippencott at five, 6-4, 6-0.
All of the top three singles matches went to an extra set, but Morgan McNeal was the only Saint to pull out the victory as she defeated Jasmine Cadorette at two, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (3). Elkie Vandenbeemt was at one and fell to Kansse Bendijo, 1-6, 6-2, 3-6, and Olivia Arroyo fell to Emma Allen at three, 2-6, 6-0, 3-6.
Down 4-2 after singles, the Saints needed a sweep of doubles competition but could only muster a win in one of the three matches. Vandenbeemt and Murphy defeated Allen and Cadorette at two for the Saints by the score of 8-6, but TCNJ's Bendijo and Alex Bologna topped McNeal and Elizabeth Geer at one, 8-1, and Lippencott and Tara Criscuolo pulled out an 8-6 win over Olivia Arroyo and Samantha Miller at three.
The Saints will be back in action on Tuesday when they take on Swarthmore at 8:30am.
The College of New Jersey 6, St. Lawrence University 3
1. Karisse Bendijo (TCNJ) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
2. Morgan McNeal (SLU) def. Jasmine Muniz-Cadorette (TCNJ) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Emma Allen (TCNJ) def. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
4. Alex Bologno (TCNJ) def. Elizabeth Geer (SLU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. Sarah Lippincott (TCNJ) 6-4, 6-0
6. Tara Criscuolo (TCNJ) def. Laura Goldhar (SLU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Karisse Bendijo/Alex Bologno (TCNJ) def. Morgan McNeal/Elizabeth Geer (SLU) 8-1
2. Elkie Vandenbeemt/Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. Emma Allen/Jasmine Muniz-Cadorette (TCNJ) 8-6
3. Tara Criscuolo/Sarah Lippincott (TCNJ) def. Olivia Arroyo/Samantha Miller (SLU) 8-6