Saints Fall to Statesmen, 5-0
April 28: The St. Lawrence University men's tennis team's season came to an end on Saturday with a 5-0 loss to third-seeded Hobart in the first round match of the Liberty League Men's Tennis Tournament in Geneva, NY.
The Statesmen swept doubles play to take a 3-0 lead. Bruce Grant and Michael Fields beat junior Michael Hayden and first-year student Thomas Luchars 8-4 at No. 1. Alex James and Matt Hursh defeated sophomore Matt Burke and first-year student Alan Shortz 8-1 at No. 2, and Kevin Bates and Sam DeLuccia earned an 8-1 victory over senior Chris Rogers and junior Tom Timpone at No. 3.
As the matches in the tournament are played until decision, Hobart secured the victory with wins at No. 4 and No. 5. Walter Green defeated Luchars, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4, and Hursh earned a 6-1, 6-0 triumph over Burke at No. 5.
Hobart 5, St. Lawrence 0
Apr 28, 2012
Geneva, N.Y. (Bristol Field House)
1. Bruce Grant (HOB) def. Michael Hayden (SLU) 6-4, 2-2
2. Alex James (HOB) def. Alan Shortz (SLU) 6-0, 5-1
3. Sam DeLuccia (HOB) def. Thomas Timpone (SLU) 6-3, 5-1
4. Walter Green (HOB) def. Tom Luchars (SLU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Matt Hursh (HOB) def. Matthew Burke (SLU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kevin Bates (HOB) def. Sam Mullin (SLU) 3-0
1. Bruce Grant/Michael Fields (HOB) def. Michael Hayden/Tom Luchars (SLU) 8-4
2. Alex James/Matt Hursh (HOB) def. Matthew Burke/Alan Shortz (SLU) 8-1
3. Kevin Bates/Sam DeLuccia (HOB) def. Christopher Rogers/Thomas Timpone (SLU) 8-1
#6 seed St. Lawrence 2-16
#3 seed Hobart 17-4; Regional ranking #14
Liberty League Tournament First Round Match