RIT Tops Saints, 6-3
April 21: The St. Lawrence University men's tennis team fell to RIT in a Liberty League match on Saturday by the score of 6-3.
The Saints took two of three doubles matches, but RIT won five of six singles matches to earn the victory. Junior Michael Hayden was a double winner for the Saints, winning 6-1,6-0 at No.1 singles and teaming up with first-year student Thomas Luchars at No.1 doubles for the 8-1 win.
Senior Chris Rogers and junior Tom Timpone topped their opponents at No. 3, while first-year student Alan Shortz and sophomore Matt Burke lost an 8-2 decision at No.2.
In singles action, Luchars, Burke and first-year student Sam Mullin put up hard fights in their matches. Luchars fell 6-4,6-4 at No. 4, while Burke lost 7-6(5), 6-4 at No. 5. Mullin was defeated 6-4, 7-5 at No. 6.
The Saints will take on Nazareth Sunday, April 22, before travelling to Geneva, NY on the 28th for the Liberty League Championships.
RIT 6, St. Lawrence 3
Pittsford, NY (Mendon Racquet & Pool Club)
April 21, 2012
1. Michael Hayden (SLU) def. C. Tontarski (RIT) 6-1, 6-0
2. T. Saucedo (RIT) def. Alan Shortz (SLU) 6-0, 6-1
3. N. Billimoria (RIT) def. Tom Timpone (SLU) 6-0, 6-0
4. A. Batiste (RIT) def. Thomas Luchars (SLU) 6-4, 6-4
5. M. Bogue (RIT) def. Matt Burke (SLU) 7-6 (5), 6-4
6. M. Lachance (RIT) def. Sam Mullin (SLU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Hayden/Luchars (SLU) def. Tontarski/Larry Hall (RIT) 8-1
2. Billimoria/Saucedo (RIT) def. Shortz/Burke (SLU) 8-2
3. Chris Rogers/Tom Timpone (SLU) def. Baptiste/Jake Stocker (RIT) 8-4