Saints Men's Golf Program
St. Lawrence University's men's golf program has established itself as a contender for regional and national honors after being brought back as a varsity program in 2000.
The Saint golf team had some spectacular years in the 1950s including an appearance in the 1952 NCAA Tournament as that team went undefeated through the regular season was one of 24 teams invited to play for the national championship. That team was the only small college among a field that included Michigan, Texas, Southern California, LSU, Florida, Stanford and North Carolina among others.
The program was discontinued in the late 1970s and resurrected for the 2000 season as coach Mary Lawrence quickly built a program which contended for NCAA Division III honors. It took just four years from the resumption of the program to make the NCAA Division III Championship field as the Saints made back-to-back appearances in 2003 and 2004.
The Saint men's and women's golf teams play and practice on the St. Lawrence University Golf Course, a championship-caliber course adjacent to the SLU campus and also take advantage of the Indoor Golf Training Center, a facility devoted exclusively to the Saint golf teams and one of the few such facilities in the Northeast.
The Saints compete in a split season with competition starting early in the fall. In addition to hosting one of the few invitationals which feature both men's and women's fields, St. Lawrence plays in the Liberty League qualifying tournament which determines the four teams to advance to match play in the spring season as well as invitationals throughout the Northeast. The tournament season resumes in April and concludes with the NCAA championships in May.
Other Liberty League members in men's golf include Clarkson, Hamilton, Hobart, Rensselaer, Rochester and Skidmore with the US Merchant Marine Academy playing as an associate member of the league.