Intramural Hockey Rules
1. All players (14 maximum on the bench per game) shall check in with the off ice official prior to the game. Two forfeits result in expulsion from the league.
2. Only one additional person who is not a participating player is allowed on the bench (ie. captain or coach).
3. Generally, the games will be played according to USA Hockey non-checking rules.
--Any action made toward gaining possession of the puck or a team's advantage must be directed toward the puck and not the opponent's body.
--Any body contact or contact with a stick, whether intentional or not, will be ruled a penalty.
4. A HOCKEY HELMET WITH A FULL-FACE MASK, gloves, elbow pads, and shin guards are MANDATORY pieces of equipment. Participants must provide their own legal gear, as full hockey gear is highly recommended.
5. The following are 2 minute, minor penalties, 3 penalties by any one player or 7 penalties by a team will result in suspension from the game and forfeit of the game, respectively.
-- SLAP SHOTS
-- All other dangerous play including but not limited to the following: High sticking, Tripping, Cross checking, Roughing, Elbowing, Slashing, Bench Minors (Too many players on the ice).
6. The following are 5 minute, major penalties, 2 by any one player or 3 by a team will result in suspension from the game or forfeit of the game, respectively.
-- Injury: any injury that is a result of another player's actions may result in a game misconduct for that player.
-- Hitting or checking from behind
-- Unsportsmanlike conduct: includes misuse of equipment, foul language or any other infraction that the official rules to be unsportsmanlike.
7. Icing and off sides will also be called.
8. The game will consist of two 20-minute halves continuous running time. There will be a three minute intermission between halves and the teams will switch ends at intermission
-- No overtime will be played during tournament or league play. (playoffs only)
-- Tied games will be decided by penalty shootout. The shoot out will follow a 1 round and compare format until the game has been decided.
--Teams may not use the same shooter twice until the whole bench has attempted a shot.
10. There will be 5 skaters and 1 goalkeeper.
-- The minimum number of players needed to start a game is 4. Note: the other team can play full strength.
-- If there are not 4 players, 5 minutes after the scheduled start time, the result is a forfeit.
-- Two forfeits result in the team being ineligible for playoffs.
11. If a team gains a lead of 7 goals, the game will be ruled over.
12. If a goalkeeper isn't available, the net will be placed face down. A goal will be awarded by the puck making contact with the netting that makes up the top of the net or front when placed on it's face. If this applies for a penalty shot it will be a direct shot from the blue line.
13. The official has the final say in all calls.