Intramural Basketball Rules
1. The rules of the National Federation of State High School Athletics Associations will apply in all cases except where special intramural rules apply.
1. All games will start on time according to the Burkman Gymnasium wall clock.
2. A 5-minute grace period will be allowed before a game is forfeited. The clock starts at the scheduled game time. If a team is not ready for play after 5 minutes, the game will be a forfeit. Teams must start their games with the time that has expired on the clock. Two forfeits result in expulsion from the league.
3. A game consists of 2 teams of 5 players each. A team may start with 4 players but the game will be forfeited if the number of players drops below 4.
4. Stopped time will be kept for the last 2 minutes of the game.
5. Overtime only applies to playoff and elimination tournament games.
1. The game will consist of 2-20 minute halves.
2. Half time will be 5 minutes.
3. Time will be stopped during the last 2 minutes of the game for the following reasons: fouls, violations, free throws, injuries, any dead ball, and at the discretion of the officials.
1. Each team is permitted one time-out per half. It does not carry over into the next half.
2. Time-outs are one minute in length.
1. Each game will begin with a jump ball. Possession will alternate on subsequent jump balls.
2. An alternate possession throw-in will result when:
* A held ball occurs.
* The ball goes out-of-bounds and was last touched simultaneously by 2 opponents.
* A double free throw violation occurs.
* A live ball lodges on the basket support.
* A double personal or double technical foul occurs.
* Opponents commit simultaneous personal or technical fouls.
* Opponents commit simultaneous goal tending or basket interference violations.
3. The possession arrow will be immediately reversed after an alternating possession throw-in.
1. Bonus throws will be awarded on the seventh team foul in each half. Double bonus will be awarded on the tenth team foul in each half.
2. An intentional foul will result in two free throws plus the ball out of bounds.
3. Technical fouls will not be shot. The opposing team will automatically receive 3 points plus the ball.
4. If a player receives two technicals in a game, they will be ejected from that game and must meet with the Director of Intramurals before resuming in intramural play.
1. Report to the mid-court, side line remain there until a dead ball occurs.
2. An official will call the player(s) onto the court.
3. Substitutions should occur without delaying the game.
4. Any player that is bleeding must leave the game immediately. The bleeding must be stopped and the wound securely covered with a bandage before that player can continue playing. If there is blood on your clothing, you must get a clean one before resuming play. (Refer to emergency numbers: Security 5555 and Rescue Squad 911, the nearest phone is in the Augsbury Center Lobby.)
Overtime (playoffs and tournament play only)
1. Overtime will be 3 minutes with the last minute being stopped time.
2. Sudden death will occur if the game is still tied after the first overtime. The first team to score wins.
3. No time-outs may be taken during overtime.
4. Overtime will start with a jump ball leading to an alternate possession.
Hanging on the rim/basket supports
1. Any player that hangs on the rim or basket supports will receive a technical foul, be ejected, and suspended from the next league game. This is in effect before, during, and after games (If there is a second offense on the same player, they will be suspended from the league indefinitely and must meet with the Director of Intramurals).
1. Fifth personal foul.
2. If ejected from the game until disciplinary hearing.
1. Improper language.
2. Unsporting conduct.
3. Hanging on the rim or basket supports during warm-ups and/or during or after the game.
4. Committing a flagrant foul.
5. If a player is ejected from a game, they are subject to a disciplinary hearing before they can participate in any intramural activity (unless it is for hanging on the rim).
1. The first team listed on the schedule (left or top) wears light and the team on the right or bottom wears dark shirts.
2. No shoes that leave black or scuff marks on the court will be permitted.
3. No hats are allowed.
4. No braces or supports that may cause other players harm will be permitted.