Booster Involvement with Current Student-Athletes
As a Booster, you are permitted to:
1. Invite a student-athlete(s) or an entire team to your home for a meal. The meal, which may be catered, should be limited to infrequent or special functions (holidays, birthdays etc). Boosters are permitted to give a student-athlete(s) transportation to their homes on these occasions (local transportation only).
2. Invite an entire Saints team for dinner when the team is visiting your area for an away athletics contest. This meal may take place at a booster's home or at a restaurant. Student-athletes are allowed certain benefits as a team that they are not permitted as individuals.
3. Employ a student-athlete during the summer
months or after they have graduated from St. Lawrence. The NCAA however, requires that the employer
may not use the student-athlete's reputation or fame as a condition of hire,
that the student-athlete is to be compensated for work actually performed, and
that the student-athlete is compensated at the going rate for similar services.
As a reminder, the St. Lawrence University Athletic Department policy requires that boosters contact the head coach prior to making contact with student-athletes.
As a Booster, you ARE NOT permitted to:
1. Provide any "extra benefits" to enrolled student-athletes. "Extra Benefit" is defined as "any special gift or arrangement provided to an enrolled student-athlete or a student-athlete's family or friend that is not available to all other students at St. Lawrence. The extra benefit rules may also apply to gifts or arrangements (other than legitimate jobs) following the student-athlete's graduation from St.Lawrence.
2. Arrange for payment of room, board, or any type of transportation at anytime for currently enrolled student-athletes, their relatives, or their friends.
3. Provide free or reduce rate housing for a student-athlete or his/her family, even for a short period of time. Note: Only necessary travel expenses can be given when speaking to educational or charitable groups.
4. Provide any awards or gifts to student-athletes. Note: Any awards given need to meet NCAA legislation, therefore please contact the compliance office before ACTING!