Sexual Assault Resources

What can I do if I have been sexually assaulted?

Ensure your safety:  If you are in any danger, or if you believe you may soon be in danger, do not hesitate to call for help.  Securing your immediate safety is the first priority.

  • Safety & Security always has campus officers on duty (315-229-5555).
  • You can reach the nearest police department by calling 911.

Reach out to someone:  contact someone you trust for guidance and support.  It can be someone you know, or someone on campus who is trained to help.

  • A trained advocate at the 24-hour Sexual Violence Hotline (Advocates Program) (315-244-5466).
  • A trained volunteer at St. Lawrence Valley Renewal House, a local organization (315-379-9845).
  • REACHOUT of St. Lawrence County for crisis intervention (315-265-2422)
  • A student trained as a Community Assistant (CA).
  • A friend, mentor, or family member.

Seek medical care:  ask to be examined for potential injuries and infections.  You can also consider asking for evidence collection before washing or changing clothes.

  • For after-hours care, or for transportation, you can call Safety & Security (315-229-5555) or 911.
  • Planned Parenthood of Canton (315-386-8821)

Consider Reporting the incident:  making a report does not commit you to taking any disciplinary or legal action.  You can provide only as much information as you wish.

Seek counseling:  if you experience emotional distress, talking to a counselor can be an important part of the healing process.  Several types of counseling resources are available at the university.

  • Counselors at The Torrey Health and Counseling Services (315-229-5392).
  • Chaplains Kathleen Buckley (315-229-5256) and Shaun Whitehead (315-229-5062).

Consider disciplinary or legal action:  if you decide to press charges, you can do so through the university, through the police, or both.