Changing Academic Advisors

Each matriculated student has an academic advisor, a member of the faculty (or sometimes the staff) who serves that student’s primary point of contact for academic and other issues and concerns. Ideally, a student should be advised by a person she or he feels comfortable with and who understands the student’s academic plan.

First-Year Advising

Matriculating students are assigned to their initial advisor, who is one of the instructors teaching in the First-Year College they have selected. This person usually continues as the academic advisor until a student either decides to change advisors or declares a major. The FYP advisor remains in place during the fall semester of a student’s
first year. After that, students may change their advisor at any time and should take the initiative in doing so.

Major Advising

By the second semester of their sophomore year, all students must declare a major. To do so students must have an advisor in their major department. If a student declares a double, combined, or multi field major, that student must have an advisor in each department or field. In addition, the Associate Dean for Academic Advising serves as the supervisor for all multi field majors.

If their current advisor leaves the university either temporarily or permanently, students must change their advisor. Departing faculty usually alert advisees to such changes, but students need to contact a new advisor personally and make this change. If students whose advisors are not on campus do not make this change, they may find themselves with a Dean’s Hold on their APR accounts and be unable to register for courses until they resolve their advising situation.

Any students who have questions about their advisors, or about advising more generally, should consult the Office of Academic Advising Programs, Whitman Annex # 1, 315-229-5964.