Transfer Students

St. Lawrence University welcomes applications from qualified students who wish to transfer from two-year or four-year institutions.

Transfer Application Process

Transfer Admissions Requirements
Transfer students are considered for admission with advanced academic standing. Due to St. Lawrence University's graduation and residency requirements, no student can transfer more than two years' work from another institution. Graduates of two-year colleges who have completed a liberal arts program and have met the standards for admission are normally admitted with a junior standing.

Transfer Calendar
To be considered for admission for the fall semester, a transfer candidate must submit an application, complete with all supporting materials, postmarked by March 1; candidates for the spring semester must complete their applications postmarked by November 1. Generally, admission decisions are communicated to applicants approximately one month after their application files are complete.

Frequently Asked Questions

How does St. Lawrence University define a transfer student?
A transfer student is defined as anyone who has matriculated at another post-secondary institution, even if the student has not earned any credits. A high school student who took college courses while still in high school is not considered a transfer student.

Should I visit campus?
Transfer students are invited to visit campus to learn more about the St. Lawrence community. During your visit we encourage you to have an admissions interview and tour. Learn more about the campus visit or arrange your visit.

What is the application deadline and what are the associated fees?
To be considered for admission for the fall semester, a transfer candidate must submit an application, complete with all supporting materials, postmarked by March 1; candidates for the spring semester must complete their applications postmarked by November 1. To apply after these dates, contact the admissions office directly to discuss your situation. A completed application includes the non-refundable $60 application fee or an approved fee waiver form.

What is the profile of a successful transfer applicant?
Generally, we are seeking transfer applicants who have demonstrated success in a challenging college curriculum. More specifically, successful transfer applicants have earned at least a 2.8 G.P.A. during their college career. Although we review the high school transcripts of all transfer applicants, more weight will be placed on the high school record for applicants who are in their first year of college.

If I apply, when will I be notified of the decision?
In general, students receive notification of their admissions decision one month after their application is complete. All application materials for spring transfer students must be postmarked or submitted electronically by November 1; application materials for fall transfer students must be submitted by March 1. Applications received after these dates are considered on a space-available basis.

What is the cost of tuition, room and board for an academic year?
Tuition and fees for the year can be found here.

What financial aid options are available to transfer students?
Financial aid for all students at St. Lawrence may consist of some combination of grant, scholarship and loan, and is designed to fit each individual's specific needs. Scholarships are generally based on merit; while grants and loans are based on financial need. Financial need is determined from data supplied on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Additionally, student employment is available on campus. 

Financial Aid

How much of my current course credit will transfer to St. Lawrence?
What class year will I be when I register?

Transfer credit and class year are determined by the Registrar after a thorough review of the student's transcript(s). Generally a minimum grade of 2.0 or C must be earned to obtain SLU credit for the course. SLU will accept a maximum of 17.5 course units towards its graduation requirements of 33.5 units. This means that a student is required to take at least 16 course units as a matriculated student at SLU. This typically takes at least two years. Graduates of two-year colleges who have completed a liberal arts program and who have met standards of admission are usually admitted with junior standing. Normal academic progress for others is as follows:

End of Semester Units Completed
1 4.5
2 9.0
3 13.0
4 17.5
6 25.5
7 29.5
8 33.5

Distribution Requirements

Are transfer students eligible for New York State HEOP?
Only students who are officially part of an OEP or HEOP program at another New York state university or part of a SEEK or DISCOVER program at a New York state community college will be considered for our HEOP program. Space in HEOP may not be available every semester.

What support services are available to transfer students?
Students at St. Lawrence have a wide variety of support available to them throughout the campus. Community Assistants and Residential Coordinators are available in the living areas to assist with student life issues. The Director of Multicultural Affairs is available to assist students in the transition into a new environment. Each student chooses an academic advisor from the department of their major. All students may access the services of the Office of Academic Achievement, the Munn Writing Center and the Office of Accommodative Services.

Academic Achievement Office
Munn Writing Center
Office of Special Needs

What type of co-curricular opportunities exist for students at St. Lawrence?
Approximately 90 clubs and organizations that reflect student interests exist on campus. These include, but are not limited to, the following: academic societies, sororities and fraternities, the campus newspaper, a cappella groups for men and women, community service organizations, outdoor clubs and 32 varsity sport teams, as well as intramural sports activities. 

Student Activities
The Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE)
Clubs and Groups

Are transfer students required to live on campus?
What housing options are available to transfer students?

St. Lawrence is a four-year residential university; the residential experience is integral to the educational process. Most students are required to live in University residence halls, theme cottages or sorority or fraternity houses during each semester at the University. The majority of upperclass students live in residence halls where most floors are coeducational. Singles, doubles, triples, quads and suites are available. Theme cottages, halls and suites are available for groups with common interests. Some examples are the following:

Artists Guild
Black Women's Residence
Coffee House
Habitat for Humanity
La Casa Latina
Low Impact Living Greenhouse
Outdoor Alternatives
Substance Free Living
Women's Resource Center
The International House for students who have studied or plan to study abroad, have an interest in international affairs or are international students studying at St. Lawrence.
Scholar's Floor
24-Hour-Quiet Floor
Commons College- for upperclass students interested in an interdisciplinary course that is developed by the residents. 

Because of the residential nature of the campus, off-campus housing is generally limited to married students, students with children, nontraditional students, and commuter students living with their families. The Steiner Residences (senior townhouses) offer a transitional living space for 120 seniors. 

Residential Learning Communities 

Contact Information
If you have questions that are not answered on the transfer web page, contact our office directly at 800-285-1856 or e-mail Tonki Downs with your questions; international students should direct questions to Musa Khalidi.