By Caitlin Ward and Annalise Grueter
November 2, 2011 Today, many citizens of Oakland, California are on strike. They are rallying around an Iraqi war veteran suffering from neurological damage as a result of police brutality in an early morning raid of the "Occupy Oakland" encampment a few weeks ago. Occupy Wall Street started, we think, on September 17 in New York as a protest of the disparity in the U.S. between the wealthiest 1% of the country and the remaining 99%. The activist movement has since spread far and fast to other cities and small towns across the nation, even to college campuses (St. Lawrence University among them) and beyond the States, to London, England.
So how do we know about it at Arcadia? Off the "beaten track" and far from our computers as we are, news travels to us more slowly. (For example, we found out about Gaddafi's assassination a few days after the fact.) Some news arrives with the mail-at the beginning of the semester, pictures of the damage from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene arrived in a trickle from parents and friends. We stay up to date on the latest and greatest in rowing and skiing thanks to forwarded magazine subscriptions. After the subscriber finishes with Powder (Jon) or Rowing News (Maddy), the magazine is placed atop a bucket in Clive for community perusal. Clive is also home to old issues of The New Yorker and a Maxim or two.
Our newspaper carriers are professors Natalia Singer and Erik Backlund. Between the two of them, we are never without a copy of The New York Times. Erik also brings The Hill News and regales us with the most recent happenings on campus.
These many sources greatly minimize a disconnect from general news, but for some specific topics we have to ask. As our interest has increased about Occupy Wall Street, Assistant Director Dave Durant has found posters, copies of The Occupied Wall Street Journal (which publishes perspectives from protesters) and various online articles with growing zeal.
Living in Arcadia, we depend on a face-to-face human network for current events from the outside world, and we owe a great deal to our instructors, friends, and family for solidly maintaining that network. Thanks for keeping us posted!
In other Arcadian news, Emily and Dan McDonnell joined us for dinner on Friday, October 28, and gave us presentations on the Outdoor Program and Career Services. The next morning, Jon, Maddy, Jeff, Sam, Nick, and Tori D climbed a wintery Mount Colden. They took advantage of the snowy conditions to practice photography, and prevailed over the harrowing, icy descent, though some of their downhill slides were as long as 30 or 40 feet. After carving pumpkins this Sunday, we enjoyed a gorgeous, sunny Halloween.